[iDC] Interview with Eduardo Navas

Trebor Scholz trebor at thing.net
Mon Mar 21 16:36:49 EST 2005

Listening To Yourself While Playing With Others

Interview with Eduardo Navas (adjusted by Trebor Scholz)
As part of WebCamTalk1.0
http://www.newmediaeducation.org

Trebor Scholz:
In February 2003 you founded Net Art Review (NAR), a collaborative weblog
reviewing media art that for the most part focuses on web-based work. There
are several fairly large conversational fora that address media art. New
media researchers and educators already greatly benefit from mailing lists
like Empyre, FibreCulture, <nettime>, New-Media-Curating, Rhizome, Rohrpost,
Sarai, and Spectre. What was your motivation for Net Art Review?

Eduardo Navas:
I noticed that there was debate about technological issues and exchange
about cultural theory, but rarely were there detailed writings focusing on
the actual art in the form of reviews.  Most online artists would release
their own statements, and it would often end at that. Sometimes casual
comments would follow by members of the different lists, and other times
there would of course be heavy exchange of ideas and that was good;
regardless, there was no consistency in how this criticism happened, which
is good for lists but also made it obvious that there was room for other
forms of critical practice online. For example, contributions to Rhizome
were often very good (and still are) but at other times loose and/or ended
in flame wars: people flooding the list with personal insults. There
were/are good articles on C-Theory and Switch, as well as on <nettime>,
which always had very intense exchanges. But mostly these discussions around
cultural issues do not directly focus on specific artworks. And the Empyre
list is also quite strong with its focused, month-long conversations. I
noticed that there was a need for a specific type of criticism, which was
actually being met in part by Neural.it and Random, both in Italy. (See
references for list of online journals.)

Net Art Review was launched early in 2003, a few months after Rhizome became
a membership pay-service. Rhizome was heavily criticized for the
introduction of membership fees. There was the perception that Net Art
Review was developed in reaction to Rhizome's decision, but I never saw it
like that. I had been trying to set up a critical forum for about a year,
but did not get to invest sufficient time into it before the beginning of
2003. The criticism of Rhizome probably gave Net Art Review some extra
attention, but it was more complex than that.

So, to reiterate, Net Art Review offers a focus on artwork, something that I
see is missing in relation to online culture. Rhizome's net art news comes
the closest to that but I was not satisfied with it because their texts are
limited in length. They do not focus on criticism, but mainly on
descriptions of the works with some supportive commentary. Net Art Review
was founded as a small, decisively low-tech, very simple web portal that
focuses on content production without a feedback option. The feedback option
was not a common feature of blogs at the time. A response option would also
demand more time from the administrators: Lora McPhail (Los Angeles), me
(San Diego) and more recently Molly Hankwitz (Brisbane/ San Francisco). It
will also make things more expensive. But when readers contact us we
correspond quickly. Blogging boomed in early 02 (and apparently still is
increasing in popularity)-- a weblog seemed like a good tool to try out the
idea of a review site. However, we hope to develop the site further. The
regular contributors communicate through a dedicated mailing list. Lora
McPhail, our editor-in-chief, coordinates the writings and oversees the
mailings that are sent to us as either submission or concerns. Molly
Hankwitz is contributing editor and is in charge of the weekly features.
Garrett Lynch is working on a new, more efficient set-up so that we can
eventually leave the commercial Blogger service behind. It is important to
note that Net Art Review is open for anyone who is invested in new media
practice and wishes to share her opinion. (For additional contributors see