[iDC] Citizen reports

nick knouf nknouf at media.mit.edu
Sat Jul 29 20:21:41 EDT 2006

Thanks for posting information about a very interesting project.
Along similar lines, there's a musician living in Beirut who has been
chronicling his experiences through drawings and posting them to his
blog:

http://mazenkerblog.blogspot.com/

Beyond this, however, and to pull it into one aspect of the
"architecture" discussion, is the real concern about control of the
underlying mobile infrastructure.  Right now all of this technology
relies on a network built and paid for by a commercial/governmental
entity which has the ability to turn off access at their discretion.
We've seen the result of this already when in 2004 T-Mobile blocked
TxtMob [1] messages during the Republication National Convention in
the US [2].  Perhaps mobile networks overseas are more open or
community owned; I'd be delighted if that were the case.  But at
least in the US, in my experiences and understanding, the networks
are locked down tightly.

All of the emancipatory and liberating applications we can develop
are ultimately moot if the network providers decline to provide
access, either because of traffic concerns on the network, or because
of some political/social/business reason.

This is where I think ad-hoc networking, based initially on the
bluetooth capabilities built-in to existing phones, comes in.  We can
use the ability of each phone to talk to each other locally and
independent of the provider's network.  Imagine a situation where
people run applications on their phone that pass messages amongst
each other, bypassing the commercial network.  One node talks to
another talks to another, passing messages down the line in a
geographic version of six degrees of separation.  Or where a
dissident or local can anonymously and transparently pass text/images
to someone who has the ability to flee a war situation, the text and
images becoming available when the person is in a "safer" geographic
location.  This leverages the mobile and transitory nature of many
modern social networks, potentially enabling the transmission of
important information and thoughts beyond the physically dangerous
space.

I'm quite interested in actually implementing something like this,
and would be glad to talk with others who share this interest.  In
any event, I believe thinking about mobile data networks beyond those
given to us by telecommunications companies is necessary to ensure
that cell phones can be used to their greatest social and political
potential.

Best,

nick

[1]  http://txtmob.com/
[2]  http://www.smartmobs.com/archive/2004/09/04/tmobile_blocke.html,
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/09/technology/circuits/09mobb.html?
ex=1154318400&en=45ce2293d63d23fe&ei=5070