[iDC] Against Web 2.0

juha huuskonen juhuu at juhuu.nu
Sat May 27 16:29:34 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

Here is my contribution to the buzzword business -

For the past two years, the theme of Pixelache festival
(www.pixelache.ac) has been 'Dot Org Boom', referring
to the same development as Web 2.0 but from a different
perspective. 'Dot Org Boom' is proposing that the current
wave of development is heading to non-profit direction,
something that Web 2.0 promoters would probably not
want to agree with.

I came across the term in a book called 'How to change
the world' by David Bornstein (www.howtochangetheworld.org).
The title is cheesy and so is the book cover, but the content
is pretty relevant and well written... The book is introducing
social entrepreneurs from around the world and mostly
focusing on the activities of Ashoka Foundation (www.ashoka.org)
who have managed to figure out a very successful method for
supporting the growth of small grassroot initiatives. In the
book the term 'dot org boom' is referring to the fact that the
amount of NGOs in the world has increased dramatically
during the past 10-15 years (millions of new NGOs).

Our version of Dot Org Boom consisted of independent media,
open source community and NGOs. Considering the fact that
all these three areas share the same basic principles - open,
non-profit activities based on volunteer contributions and
grassroot organisations - it's striking how little collaboration there
has been between these areas. The tactical media/indymedia/activist
networks used to be very different from the sourceforge/slashdot/geek
camp and the NGOs were mostly left out of the loop, happily
using their Microsoft tools. What I find essential in the Dot
Org Boom is that these three components - open content,
open tools, open organisation models - are starting to find
each other. Web 2.0 people would like to ignore the organisation
component of this transformation.

We didn't have a chance to dig very deep into Dot Org Boom
in the context of the festival but we managed to bring together
a pretty interesting bunch of people. You can find more
information and download the festival catalogue at
http://www.pixelache.ac/2005/helsinki

Some topics that appeared in the discussions were: trust,
security, credibility and monopolies. It seems essential for an
organisation/service/tool to maintain their image as the 'good guys',
something that might become increasingly difficult for commercial
services in future. One complex and important issue seems to be
how to deal with monopolies, both in the case of commercial
services like Google but also for projects like Wikipedia. The
magic role of the 'benevolent dictators' like Jimbo Wales for
Wikipedia or Linus Thorvarlds for Linux does not seem like
a lasting solution.

Best,

Juha.

.: juhuu at juhuu.nu :: www.juhuu.nu :: www.pixelache.ac :.