[iDC] Introduction - Sean Dockray

Sean Dockray sean.patrick.dockray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 08:15:38 UTC 2011

Hello idc list!

My name is Sean Dockray and I'm an artist living in Los Angeles. Ed
Keller invited me to co-chair the track, "DIY U: Learning Without a
School," and I'm looking forward to working with him and David
Goldberg on this. Like everyone, I've been asked to introduce myself,
so here goes nothing...

What is probably most relevant to the conference track are two
projects that I initiated several years ago: The Public School (http://all.thepublicschool.org
) and, before that, AAAARG. In the most simple terms, one is a school
and one is a library, where both have been generated by their users
and they both make use of the internet to organize activity (people
propose classes that they would like to happen, people upload scans of
texts and sort them into lists).

Obviously, both projects operate on a terrain characterized by
technological change, public cuts, externalized labor, growing debt,
and shifting conceptions of property. I suppose my interest has been
less in how we reinforce our existing institutions to survive (by
making them more flexible and responsive), and more in the question of
what possibilities there are for collectively articulating other
social forms based on sharing, forms that would support the needs and
activities of people.

As far as biography, I am the Curatorial Director of Telic Arts
Exchange (http://telic.info), a non-profit organization that aims to
produce a critical engagement with new media and culture. I've taught
at UCLA, UCSD, and SCI-Arc, but have been acadmically unaffiliated for
the last few years while spending time with The Public School, which
operates in Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Juan, Berlin,
Durham, Helsinki, and Brussels.

Last summer, Caleb Waldorf, Fiona Whitton, and I co-organized a 13-day
itinerant seminar in Berlin called "There is nothing less passive than
the act of fleeing" (http://thepublicschool.org/thereisnothinglesspassive/thantheactoffleeing.html
) which somehow led through the UCIRA State of the Arts conference and
to this condensed essay that Matteo Pasquinelli, Jason Smith, Caleb,
and I wrote for the journal ...ment: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11464360/MENT01-web-tpsla.pdf
I'm currently working on a Public School project in collaboration with
Caleb and Fiona for the upcoming Encuentro Internacional de Medellin
("Teaching and learning: Places of Knowledge in Art").

Finally, a few more links if anyone is interested:
http://www.metamute.org/en/articles/in_the_paradise_of_too_many_books
http://127prince.org/2010/10/04/sean-dockray-interview-by-randall-szott/
http://blog.sfmoma.org/2009/08/four-dialogues-2-on-aaaarg/
http://blog.art21.org/2009/11/12/looking-at-los-angeles-the-public-school/
http://spd.e-rat.org/writing/david-elliott-interview.html

I am a long-time, lurking fan of the idc list and I'm looking forward
to the conference as well as the swelling of activity here in the time
leading up to it.

Sean