Subject: DEAR THICK & THIN at ME contemporary - OPENING Friday 11 March 5-8 pm.
From: Malou Erritzøe <[email-masked]>
To: MEcontemporaryIII <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 01:20:00 +0100

DEAR THICK & THIN
ME contemporary will gather 4 artists groups -- The Thing, Test Portugal,
Amanda Lear's Pocket and Galerie im Regierungsviertel -- presenting not only
works from these networks, but also gestures of how formal or casual
exchange can burgeon "thick" and "thin" ties toward nodes of projects both
realized and hypothetical.
Organized by Arfus Greenwood.

OPENING FRIDAY, 11 MARCH 5-8 PM
at ME contemporary, Ny Adelgade 7, Copenhagen
ON VIEW THROUGH 9 APRIL, 2011

ArtistList: SaâdaneAfif   Alterazioni   KnutÅsdam   auctionthing
FiaBackstrom   JanBaracz   NinBrudermann   DieterBuchhart   RitaSobralCampos
AnaCardoso   JackieChang   VusikCosic   AmyGranat/AnnCraven   PatriciaDauder
AngeloDelgado   BracoDimitrijevic      ChristophDraeger     DanFogler
DonnaFerrato    RainerGanahl     ArfusGreenwood        EvaGrubinger
AnthonyHaden-Guest   HeidrunHolzfeind   CarstenHöller   BeatHuber
LauraHunt   PierreHuyghe   DavidJourdan   CraigKalpakjian   JacobKassay
MattKeegan   DanielKnorr   AprilLamm   AnnikaLarsson   JörgLohse
JosephineMeckseper   Ms&Mr   LisaOppenheim   LauraParnes    JeffParnes
DanielPflumm   MarcoBoggioSella   JoaoSimoes   PaulSmith   WolfgangStaehle
FranzStauffenberg   ErikSteinbrecher   SternbergPress   CasparStracke
RobertThe   MomoyoTorimitsu   MaiUeda   RicardoValentim   MikaelVojinovic
RogerVanVoorhees   DavidWatson   ChristianXatrec
And others who arrive at last call

Best regards and looking forward to see you,

Malou Erritzøe

[contact]
MALOU ERRITZØE
[45] 21 48 30 26
[email-masked]
 
[info]
ME CONTEMPORARY
NY ADELGADE 7
DK-1104 COPENHAGEN
 
www.mecontemporary.com

Dear Thick and Thin,
Congratulations on your recent show‹the eflux image was brilliantly
perverse, cold and banal but so delicious. The other day, I ran into Isabel,
(looking even more asymmetrical than everŠI love it.) Anyway, it was kismet;
she is working on a text about the ³Ephemeral Edge of Networks, Art and
Social Distribution,² the same day that I was speaking to Malou Erritzøe of
ME Contemporary about how we might map a social network‹nodes and ties that
compose exhibitions. Sure its museum fodder but we thought, why not, and
managed to produce a series of comic stick-figure drawings on cocktail
napkins that we moved to and fro, wet with whiskey and images bleeding; the
blurring of direct ties became so cheeky that we laughed for hours, relaying
story after story.
Sorry, but needless to say, I had to tell her about when we were at the art
fair last month‹you know the story, ³So there¹s a belligerent artist, a
bourgie kunsthalle director and a manic monkey in a bar...² Don¹t worry I
didn¹t use your name since the punch-line is ³Revolution? What Revolution?²
Okay, so maybe the paradigm is lost without hand gestures, but we did
immediately segway to you in context to our project: Dear Thick and Thin; a
simple, but super smart, little showing of oddly relevant art networks
organizing a hypothetical exhibition. Or as Isabel stated, ³a slight
suggestion of who toward what² in that intimate but raspy tone.
Slight suggestion‹I don¹t know, especially when we have Wolfgang Staehle
delivering Thing.Net, the veritable grandfather of art networks and even one
of the first social networks for the entire internet (late-80s BBS-class),
and we have Tjorg Douglas Beer, the wild-west outlaw of art organizers with
his Galerie im Regierungsviertel; and network playboy players like Joao
Simoes from TEST Lisboa and network gentlemen like Franz Stauffenberg with
his behind closed-door methods (because listen, we all know that despite
today¹s hysteria over social networks everything still really happens
behind-closed doors where the world turns conversation into commerce,
intellectual properties into manslaughter motivesŠtak, tak.)
Anyway, dude, listen, I need you for this.
Forget your fear of snowball networks where the alters actually create the
egocentric system by becoming egos themselves and are able in turn to
nominate additional altersŠor a hybrid network where egos nominate alters
otherwise not listed who are then available for all subsequent egos to see.
It is all DIRTY in at a glance (when values are attached) but when names and
bodies of work are just thrown together like dim sum on a dinner tableŠYUM.
In the end, distribution is distribution, wherever we fall on the scale of
high and low; we escape death by the shear numbers of association.
(Perhaps?)
Am I horrible? I am ridiculously horrible.
Meanwhile, I need you to gather up some good art with interesting and
provocative ideas and ultimately a little weird and messy and confuting.
All the rest will follow.
Let¹s Skype about it. Bis Bald!