[events-nyc] auctionthing

THE THING NYC events-nyc at mailman.thing.net
Mon Jan 31 23:39:23 UTC 2011

After two years in the making we are announcing the launch of
auctionthing at <http://auctionthing.net>.

The idea came to me more than two years ago when i wanted to buy an
Armleder print in Berlin, but didn't have the necessary cash at hand.
What I did have was this Armleder piece sitting in my place in NYC
<https://auctionthing.net/109/John-M-Armleder--Caprice>, but I had no
idea how I could sell the bowling ball and get the print instead.  So I
thought, why can't we create some liquidity for this market?  We all
have prints, multiples, photographs and other things sitting around, but
they are really hard to sell when you want to.  auctionthing is here to
solve this problem.  Don't get me wrong, I love my collection, but
sometimes you just want to consolidate, get something new or just make
room in your apartment.

THE THING pioneered online art auctions, the first one occurred
in 1999 <http://auction99.thing.net>.  Actually some pieces that
didn't sell back then made their way back into this new iteration.
The major difference is, the new site will stay open for business all
year long and you can become a seller too.  If you are interested send
me an email or request an invitation code on the site after you have
registered.

We are actively looking for people who want to offer parts of their
collection or curators who want to put a show together under its own
heading.  Art spaces are encouraged to talk to us about setting up their
own online benefit auctions, we just did one for Whitebox earlier this
month.

auctionthing charges a 10% commission from the seller after a
transaction has taken place.  There are no membership fees, no placement
fees and no buyer premiums.

Ten to twenty percent of the proceeds from the commissions will go
towards funding independent art and media projects and events like this
one tonight: http://post.thing.net/node/3271

Spread the word,  this is just the beginning of THE THING RELOADED.

More soon...

wolfgang