[Experimental-intermedia] EI March Concerts

Phill Niblock niblockp at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 9 16:19:38 UTC 2013

EXPERIMENTAL INTERMEDIA

The Fortieth Anniversary of EI performances at 224 Centre Street, The Forty-fifth Anniversary of the Founding of Experimental Intermedia, the Forty-fifth Anniversary of the 224 Centre Street loft, and, not least,

The Twenty-fourth Annual Festival  with no fancy name, Part Two (or B)

 Phill Niblock, curator

         March 2013

Walter Branchi (Italy)                Thursday 14

I think of music in a systemic way; I think of my music as a single, great composition formed of parts that can be performed separately but are not isolated from one another; I think of my music as a whole (as an “Intero”), which will take my entire life to compose and which will never be completed; “Un grande canto,” where every part includes the whole and is included by it; what I am going to present tonight are three recent parts of Intero -  In memoriam György Ligeti - Sensibile - Behold.; and a time lapse video: Blue Mountain Lake that Kristin Jones has been working on that is set to my music     www.walter-branchi.com

Krzysztof Knittel and Andrei Smirnov (Poland and Russia)              Friday 15

Smirnov, playing 3D Theremin + MaxMSP; Knittel, playing interactive monochord (based on infra-red beams), iPhone and iPad - will perform three pieces: Brain Jazz 2, El. Free improv 2, Free for(m) Macwin 3 (Brain Jazz 2 is a performance/installation based on interactive brain-wave biofeedback system - all processes depend on mimics of the face of the performer) asmir.info    knittel.wizya.net       https://vimeo.com/16889938        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6B6s8Ctjcs

Cat Lamb (USA)              Sunday 17

shade/gradient - viola, voice, formant/filtered oscillators

http://sacredrealism.org/catlamb/

Dan Joseph (USA)               Tuesday 19

The Brooklyn-based composer performs works for electro-acoustic hammer dulcimer and field recordings with guest artist Andrea Williams      http://www.danjoseph.org

Grahame Weinbren (USA)             Sunday 24

Letters consists of an indeterminate number of films, each one minute in duration, and connected―in one way or another―with a letter of the alphabet. It is a kind of test-ground for ideas about cinema, both technical and conceptual, but also for another kind of idea, the externalization of an inner life, inasmuch as that tired phrase describes anything

grahameweinbren.net

Screen Compositions 9 - Curated by Katherine Liberovskaya            Monday 25

The ninth edition of Screen Compositions is once again a collection of intersections of moving image with sonic art; a program of screen works representing dynamic two-way collaborations between video/ film artists and sound/ music artists specifically intended for single-channel projection with no live or performance component; featuring collaborations by: Nathalie Bujold / Gerard Leckey + Lary 7; Nisi Jacobs / Michael Schumacher; Chris Jordan / Dok Gregory;  Katherine Liberovskaya / Guy de Bievre; Diane T Tremblay / Sylvie Chenard; Ursula Scherrer / Brian Chase; Joel Schlemowitz / Rebecca Moore; Elaine Wood / Rick  Breault; Erik Z / Brian Chase

Carlos Casas (Spain)              Tuesday 26

A selection of Fieldworks films from his award winning trilogy End, these fieldworks are video notes in between field recordings and radio frequencies captured in

locations in some of the most extreme environments on the planet - Patagonia, Aral, Siberia; these single channel films will be followed by a two screen projection and live soundtrack of Tundra, a film about a day in the life of a reindeer herder community in Siberia        carloscasas.net

Kristin Norderval and Kevin Norton (USA)              Friday 29

KN2 - an evening of improvisations - Kevin on  percussion and vibes,  and Kristin on acoustic vocals, pre-recorded sounds of prepared pianos, and live audio processing of all of the above; they are joined by Katherine Liberovskaya working her magic with live video processing     www.myspace.com/kristinnorderval          www.kevinnorton.com

Our programs are supported by the New York State Council on the Arts, the Aaron Copland Fund for Music, The Adam Mickiewicz Institute, Poland and the Phaedrus Foundation

224 Centre Street at Grand, Third Floor, N Y 10013

9pm         212 431 5127, 431 6430

www.experimentalintermedia.org and www.XIrecords.org

Phill Niblock, Four Full Flutes (XI 101); Lois V Vierk, Simoom (XI 102); Guy Klucevsek, Flying Vegetables Of The Apocalypse (XI 104); David Behrman, Unforeseen Events (XI 105); Tom Johnson, Music For 88 (XI 106); Mary Jane Leach, Celestial Fires (XI107); Fast Forward, Same Same (XI 108); Ellen Fullman, Body Music (XI 109); Jackson Mac Low, Open Secrets (XI 110); Phill Niblock, Music By Phill Niblock (XI111); Allison Cameron, Raw Sangudo (XI 112); Daniel Goode, Clarinet Songs (XI 113); Mary Ellen Childs, Kilter (XI 114); Richard Lainhart, Ten Thousand Shades Of Blue (XI 115); Peter Zummo, Experimenting With Household Chemicals (XI 116); Logos Duo, Logos Works (XI 117); Annea Lockwood / Ruth Anderson, Sinopah (XI 118); Eliane Radigue, Trilogie De La Mort (XI 119); Malcolm Goldstein, The Seasons: Vermont (XI 120); Phill Niblock, YPGPN (XI 121); Paul Panhuysen, Partitas For Long Strings (XI 122); Tom Johnson, The Chord Catalogue (All The 8178 Chords Possible In One Octave) (XI 123); Ellen Band, 90% Post Consumer Sound (XI 124); Philip Corner, 40 Years And One: Philip Corner Plays The Piano (XI 125); Gen Ken Montgomery, Pondfloorsample (XI 126); Michael J. Schumacher, Room Pieces (XI 127); Alan Licht, A New York Minute (XI 128); David Behrman, My Dear Siegfried (XI 129); Warren Burt, The Animation Of Lists And The Archytan Transpositions (XI130); Matt Rogalsky, Memory Like Water (XI 131); David Watson, Fingering An Idea (XI 132); Michael J. Schumacher, Five Sound Installations (XI 133) (DVD-Rom); David First, Privacy Issue (XI 134); Charlie Morrow, Toot! (XI 135)      www.XIRecords.org

Please reply to this message at pniblock at compuserve.com