[iDC] Art

Grant Kester gkester at ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 9 23:22:34 EST 2005

Dear All,

I have also been lurking on this debate since Trebor invited me to listen in
several days ago (thanks Trebor!). I don't feel I have much to offer
relative to the question of new media/digital media, etc. Very few of the
groups I write about make use of these technologies so I will leave comments
on them to the experts. I'm afraid the projects that I am writing about will
see almost anachronistic in this context. They include Navjot Altaf's work
with water pump design in villages in Bastar (central India). What makes
this work especially interesting is the complex political negotiations
involved in working with Adivasi (indigenous, non-Hindu) artist in central
India in the context of rising Hindu extremism. This is overlaid by an
equally complicated set of struggles over the privatization of water access.
Altaf manages to use the process of collaborative production of water pump
sites to intersect with both of these registers of power in village life in
very interesting ways. I'm also writing on Jay Koh and Chu Yuan's work for
the past seven years in Myanmar, under the nose of SLORC, where they have
slowly built the social networks necessary to sustain an artists-run center
in Rangoon and managed, in the process, to create new alliances among and
within Myanmar¹s often isolated artists. There are dozens of examples like
this (Huit Facettes-Interaction in Dakar, Ala Plastica in Buenos Aires,
etc.), often working in conjunction with particular political struggles or
movements, activist groups, NGOs, etc. This sort of "slow activism" doesn't
attract nearly as much interest as the "take back the streets" direct action
tradition, but I think it's quite valuable.

I sometimes find debates over activist art and new media seem more focused
on the technological "form" than on the material specificity and political
tactics of collective action in a particular context. For myself, this is
where the most challenging questions lie. I've been struck, for example, by
how few examples of actual projects or works have been offered in these
recent exchanges over activism and art. That might be one way to move the
discussion forward a bit. It's hard to draw much inspiration from the
canonical theoretical sources. Hardt and Negri, for example, are so allergic
to any form of organized collective action that they dismiss all NGOs out of
hand (Medecins Sans Frontieres is "completely immersed in the biopolitical
context ofŠ Empire," etc.). This sort of overheated rhetoric doesn't get us
very far in understanding how activist groups are working for change on the
ground. I'd advocate a movement away from theories that began at the level
of grand abstraction ("multitudes," etc.) and begin from the contextual
labor of political change. A little "plumpes denken," or vulgar empiricism,
so to speak. One step forward would be a rapprochement between those
interested in activist art practice in the digital/new media world and those
groups and artists working in a similar direction outside this world. I
don't know quite how to encourage these exchanges (which, of course, already
occur to some extent), but this forum has certainly raised some relevant
issues that run across both of these arenas. As is often the case, I've
particularly enjoyed Brian's honesty and insight.

Best wishes to all,
Grant Kester