[iDC] Re: Art

Christiane Robbins at Jetztzeit cpr at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 12 19:28:58 EST 2005

Hi All,

I'm now back online and catching up with email and certainly this list has been one of the more lively and engaging as of late -

In responding to, and agreeing in most part, with Grant's most recent post, specifically -

" but I'm not convinced that this is possible without artist/activists working in conjunction with broader movements for social justice." )...

I am struck by a question that perpetually resurfaces for me ... where is the art ( have we heard this before?!).  Specifically ...  where does culture(s) inhabit a role within the political realm - especially on a sustained basis?  This is not as one-dimensional a question as it may first appear.

In considering Grant's example :  the trajectories of the Heritage Foundation report during the last 35 years in the USA ( which have been responsible for the evolutionary gameplan of the evangelical Christians shape shifting into the Republican party,)
leaves mewondering ... where does one find culture ...  a visual art practice ( aside from Thomas Kinkaid, Inc.), a media practice ( aside from communications and broad/cablecasting, Fox News) or digital arts practice(s), as such.   In the USA, the privatization of culture and cultural practices has, arguably, (re)positioned the value of cultural practices to that of the 19th and 20th c legacies of privilege and the marketplace.  That was Newt Gingrich's ( former Republican leader of the House of Representatives ) intent by implementing his gameplan with the rescinding of Federal funding (NEA)  for the arts in 1994-95.  Individual states followed suit shortly thereafter, thereby decimating funding for visual art and media practices that are not proven viable by the marketplace.  Is this happening elsewhere as a consequence of globalization as well?

So ... now ... the question is left begging .... where does one find the role of, and definitions therein of culture/art practices in the gameplans proposed by any progressive organization, let alone the Democratic party in the USA.  I must confess my ignorance of what is happening in the global realm - although my sense it that it is more expansive in its embrace of culture by numerous countries.    Nonetheless, where does one find culture and art practices ( as they have been defined in the 20th century and early 21st century ) embraced by the demographic of what Grant refers to as the " working class voters?"  I am not aware of a single inclusion - a single consideration - of cultural practices specified by any progressive, conservative, anarchist, or activist organizations in the USA other than those  who are self-defined as artist -activist.

Is it too obvious... too banal ... too "practical" ... to antithetical to antiquated, sterotypical notions of the definition of an artist, to actually demand that cultural agendas be so valued as to be, unquestionably, articulated as part and parcel of any political movement(s) larger platforms?

Just checking ...

Best,

Chris