[iDC] refreshing education

Ryan Griffis ryan.griffis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:58:32 EDT 2005

I think Anna and Simon's points about the dangers of technological
determinism are really important here, and relate to other things being
discussed of a non-technological nature (as i guess all of this is,
really).
The notion that the "classroom hasn't changed" and is resisting the
historical trajectory that the rest of the world is taking is kind of
odd. University's are in a particular state of crisis (in the US) and
becoming ever larger venues for the interests of privatization. it's
easy to look at a large lecture hall, complete with a corduroy jacketed
professor using slides, and take that as a metonym for the university
structure. but i think that would be a mistake.
universities are a business, and one that uses what may seem like
"antiquated models," based on numbers and scarce, politicized funding.
sure, the "literate culture" represented by traditional disciplines in
academia seem to replicate Greenberg's opposition of modernism
(literate culture) versus kitsch (pop culture). but i think we have to
also consider what the desires of students are (and importantly, where
they come from) when we think about shifting from a hierarchal model to
one of collaboration and peer learning. college is an extension of a
larger educational paradigm, not a break from it. i think many
academics are resisting non-hierarchal models for a reason. this isn't
a defense of traditional models, just a cautionary remark about the
unbounded critique of them.
the US context also requires an acknowledgment of powers that are using
examples of "experimental education" (in many instances just
traditional classes that are merely talking about pop culture in a
critical manner) in order to disassemble public education as we know
it.
to criticize educators/education without dealing with the whole
political economy (Marxism was brought up afterall...) surrounding its
mechanisms seems counterproductive. looking at the parallel
developments in the business world would also be crucial. talk about
the classroom in the living room, what about the cubicle in the
bedroom?
sure collaborative teaching, peer learning, inventive networking,
appropriation as productive tactic... all great.
i don't think we get there by pointing the finger at power-point. it's
a tool. maybe not as interesting or groundbreaking as P2P software, but
it's not the shackle of progress either.
yes, university's are in trouble (in the US at least), but i don't
think that their path to survival is necessarily bound to liberation
unfortunately. the removal of the top-down pedagogical system doesn't
necessarily lead to utopia. i've been in many a faculty meeting where
"customer" was used seamlessly with "student."
that being said, i agree that there is something to making micro
changes (taking a cue from de Certeau)...
i don't mean to write in this authoritative tone, as my experience is
actually pretty limited. but i'm a product of the academic pyramid
scheme myself.
best,
ryan