[iDC] interesting article on new media scene in LA

Brooke Singer brooke at bsing.net
Mon Oct 31 10:04:20 EST 2005

I have forward this email to Beatriz, because I don't think Mark quite
captured her sentiments. This conflict for artists and engineers
working in the realm of emerging technologies is not anything new nor
location specific. This dialogue was hot (and I am sure still is...) at
Carnegie Mellon when I was getting my graduate degree in the late 90s
and had been ongoing for sometime. If you want a certain level of
access and money for tech research/experimentation, it seems like you
either play the game and hope to come out on top. Or you try and play
outside the system, which of course may be impossible both in terms of
getting things done and as a concept in itself.

Brooke