[iDC] Lev Manovich on Remix Culture

Beth Warshafsky bskynyc at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 9 14:41:35 EDT 2006

Hi there Trevor,

I was in the audience and another area of question came to mind,
though I didn't have a chance to pose it.

I thought the audience points were relevant, although I
support the need to narrow the focus when examining
formal issues.

Lev Manovitch's talk focused on the visual hybrids of remix culture.
However, historically there is a rich precedent for examining
sound and image together, and I missed this in his over-view.

In going back to the birth of cinema and modernism,
it is important to  note the early dialogue about color and
sound, or sound and image going back to the 1880's:
Whistler, Baudelaire and at the art Critic  Stanley Pater,
not to mention this influence on later artists like Kandinsky,
Switters, etc., etc... all of early modernism.

Lev's point  regarding the path cinema took
as being mainly mimetic, and his questions regarding
other time-based forms (digital painting for example)
as seen in early  experimental film and animation,
is important.

I have been to 2 major exhibitions that encompass this
history, one at the George Pomideau Center (fall 2004)called
Son's and Lumiere
http://www.centrepompidou.fr/Pompidou/Manifs.nsf/AllExpositions/
E4B6AD56B6DA4B2FC1256DD600561C77?OpenDocument&sessionM=2.10&L=2
and another at the Hirshorn this summer  called Visual Music
http://hirshhorn.si.edu/visualmusic/

I bring this up because I think a key area of interface and exploration
exists
between what we see and what we hear, and how the 2 are interfacing
in ever more intertwined ways....
including interactive object-based manipulation in programs like max an
jitter,etc.

As an artist and educator, it is exciting to explore formal issues
trying to make
links between the two.

Best,

Beth Warshafsky