[iDC] Curating New Media Art

amanda mcdonald crowley amc at va.com.au
Tue Apr 11 22:52:42 EDT 2006

Excuse the cross-list posting (to CRUMB new media curating list and
also iDC), but Trebor's post to IDC and also CRUMB has raised a few
interesting points for me.

On the CRUMB list <http://www.crumbweb.org/crumb/phase3/
main_frame.html> where Trebor also posted this report, an interesting
thread was opened up by Trebor's comment on Blue Ships... picked up
by Sarah Cook.

Whilst Trebor's comments on my presentation at the Art-Place-
Technology event here are cursory, he did pick up on the fact that I
was questioning the authorial role of the curator not just in the new
media art scene, but in contemporary arts more broadly.

I also pointed to examples of projects where artists don't make
"works" per se, but rather make "frameworks" for others to
contribute, and I sited examples such as r a d i o q u a l i a 's The
Frequency Clock; Mongrel's Nine(9) and Linker; and Marko Peljhan's
Makrolab.  These kinds of work only *become* works of 'art' when
other artists, community groups, researchers - participants in
general in fact - contribute to the project.

So a point I was trying to make was that if 'art'-work in this field
requires participation to be animate, then surely a 'curatorial
practice' that is relevant should also explore collaborative
methodologies in similarly experimental ways.

Of course, particularly wonderful for me was the Blue Ships analogy,
which plays perfectly into Trebor's plea for  alternative, non-
institutional contexts for the presentation and reception of such work.

Dance clubs:  of course, it makes perfect sense. Community centres
are also obvious and appropriate.

And Ships are not at all the worst places for new media and related
art festivals and events to take place ;)

http://www.isea2004.net/

http://www.avfest.co.uk/radio.html

http://www.stubnitz.com/
http://www.navigatelive.org/

I am sure there are many more examples ;)

I love the idea of journeys.  Busses are also good and there are a
plethora of wonderful examples there too!!  E-xplo; the Finnish Sauna-
bus....

amc