[iDC] Remix Reader

Paul D. Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 16 15:20:16 EDT 2006

Hey people - it's a pleasure to see some of the threads on the list.

The main issue is:

1) You have to think about different kinds of
literacy. I think Lev Manovich would be totally
illiterate of youth culture's global fascination
with hybridity and convergent media - I'm saying
that as a friend. I did music for his "Soft
Cinema" project, and we've had discussions about
this. Alot of the digital theory scene simply
cannot process divergent forms of sound art, and
digital media. They can deal with Japan, China,
and India, but Jamaica, Africa and, ahem,
African-Americans, are a no-go zone for theories
of digital media and sound art. I've never been
quite sure why that is, but, yeah, it's there.

The curators in the artworld have no idea about
how to deal with this, and the digital media
scene in terms of the real practice of
multi-culturalism, needs some serious work as
well.

In Eduardo's piece, for example, starts with RZA,
but doesn't engage the real practical
relationships of the Caribbean (especially
producers in Jamaica) whose practice of
"versioning" directly anticipates hip-hop, or for
that matter the idea of call and response blues
from the turn of the last century. There are so
many other places to start - Bollywood's ability
to absorb the complex vocabulary of Hollywood
film, Egyptian cinema, West African film makers
like Sembene Ousmane... It's all about collage
based composition. I'd say Brian Eno and David
Byrne's "My Life in The Bush of ghosts" is
probably alot more creative than alot of the
hip-hop you hear today, and in fact, it's been
sampled alot, but then again, so has Fela. RZA
took that kind of hybridity, and made a brand out
of it... But then again, so did King Tubby.

Anyway:

If you are open, there's plenty of interesting material out there.

A very very very brief primer for those interested in "remix" culture:

Valentine de St. Point "Manifesto of Lust" - 1915

Luigi Russolo - The Art of Noise - 1915

Theodore Adorno - The form of the Phonograph

Norman Mailer's "The White Negro" - 1957

Amiri Baraka - Blues People: Negro Music in White America, 1963

Alfred Appel - Jazz Modernism  - 2003

Eduoard Glissant - Poetics of Relation, 1997

Jeff Chang's Can't Stop Won't Stop, 2005

and of course, my book "Rhythm Science" that came
out on MIT Press a little while ago.

www.rhythmscience.com

Stevem Shaviro has an excellent on-line teaching
resource about sampling as well:

http://www.dhalgren.com/Classes/Sound.html

These are the liner notes to a Box Set CD I've done with Trojan Records.

Trojan Records is a legendary record label
started by Arthur "Duke" Reid in Kingston,
Jamaica in the late 1960's. It's archive
encompasses some of the most renowned Jamaican
artists in history, and the box set I've compiled
for Trojan Records is a slice of material from
their catalog. It's a double CD with outtakes and
extremely rare versions of Jamaican material from
the last 40 years.

Paul aka Dj Spooky

Heel up, Wheel up, come back, rewind: Trojan Records
by Paul D. Miller

When Trojan Records asked me to do a "selections"
from their archive, one of the first things that
went through my mind was how do you mix music
that changed the world? It's been about fifty
years since Jamaica has become an independent
country, and it seems like the music that comes
from this tiny island in the Caribbean is having
more of an impact than ever.

Trojan Records' founder, Arthur "Duke" Reid, used
to drive the Trojan brand of trucks around
Kingston with huge speakers blasting his
innovative collection of Jamaican music, leading
to the urban legend of how the name of the
soundsystem cum record label developed. "Duke"
was a former policeman, and it comes as no
surprise that the "ruff and rude" sounds of the
Kingston underground were the staple of his sound.

The metaphor of the Trojan truck, mapped onto the
Greek legend of the Trojan house, is as fitting
as any fiction. Trojan Ltd. was a car company
that made sturdy trucks that were to become the
staple of the colonial market export of cars. The
people of Troy, a great city in ancient Greece,
were a royal line founded by Zeus and Electra,
and if the myths of the past are to be kept in
mind when we think of Jamaica, you can see the
update: Like the Trojan horse, these stealth
units, soundsystems, were able to be in plain
sight while changing the cultural operating
system of the entire world. Soundsystems were
portable discos, mobile platforms for different
styles. They were the preferred method of
spreading a style because they were nomadic in a
way that the monumental clubs of the U.S. and
U.K. couldn't dream of. From the vantage point of
the 21st century, they can only be viewed as the
predecessor of the iPod.

Portability, quickness, stealth copies of hit
songs, "versions"Š All of this leads us to the
idea of remix culture and "mash-ups" that are the
digital world's inheritance from the analog media
of the soundsystem. With the material that I
selected for this compilation, I wanted to avoid
the obvious songs of Jamaican history, and focus
on the more esoteric materials that collectors
and producers could relate to. For example, when
the Prodigy sampled Max Romeo and The Upsetters'
1976 "I Chase The Devil (Lucifer)," I thought it
would be a good start to think about how the same
sample popped up on Kayne West's production of
Jay Z's hit "Lucifer." I think you'll relate to
the out-take version I included in the
compilation of Lee "Scratch" Perry's version,
"Disco Devil." Sounds like piracy? Well can you
imagine the world without Bob Marley? He used to
screen records as a clerk for the Coxsone
soundsystem. He'd literally sift through the
sounds of the current day to tell Coxsone which
records to copy! This was invaluable for his
development as a recording artist and performer.

The "re-mix" was happening in Jamaica to keep the
best songs fresh with the newest sounds for
decades before the idea hit the U.S. With Perry
and his staple of singers like Susan Cadogan (a
former librarian!), you can hear the heat of a
Kingston night in songs like her hit, "Fever,"
and her 1974 smash single "Hurt So Good," a cover
version of Millie Jackson's song by the same
name. Since copyright law in Jamaica was never
tight everything was a copy of something else.
You can think of the whole culture as a shareware
update, a software source for the rest of the
world to upload. And if you stretch your ears,
you can see the future of digital music in the
drum machine riddim of "Sleng Teng" - a rhythm
made at King Jammy's on a Casio MT-40 home
keyboard.

Jamaica created its own economy in sound with the
relentless bass pressure of an island where
music, and access to the right styles and sounds
could make or break your career. The pressure to
find the right rhythms created a hothouse of
innovation. Just think: reggae is the expression
of a nation under immense pressure - from IMF
loans, from colonialism's aftereffects, the
falling price of bauxite and its relationship to
a Third World economy based solely on natural
products like sugar cane and bananas.

Before hip-hop was global, the Jamaican scene had
somehow, on the down-low, followed the idea of
diaspora. Today with artists like Matisyahu in
Brooklyn doing Hasidic Jewish versions of reggae,
to stuff like Japan's "Ranking Taxi" to the
myriad sounds coming out of Brazil, India,
Tunisia, Germany and France, the tradition of
pastiche and bricolage continues. You get the
idea. The logic of diaspora - of taking music
from a region and spreading it across the world -
is reggae's core essence, and when I put this mix
together, I wanted to go from my downtown NYC to
London and Kingston, to parts of the world I'd
forgotten and the most distant places of my
record collection.

I used to go to Jamaica every summer when I was a
kid, and some of my earliest memories - visiting
relatives and friends, cousins and uncles and
aunts - was of my mother and sister reminding me
of the links between the island and America. My
Mom used to even used to write for Jamaica's
equivalent of the New York Times, Kingston's
"Daily Gleaner!" I want you to feel history when
you listen to this mix and think about how
sampling, making new music from old, came from
the idea of versioning. Think about the
soundsystem battles of Duke Reid, Sir Coxsone and
Prince Buster as a forerunner to MC and DJ
battles in hip-hop. Tthink about Kool Herc's
soundsystem as a stepping stone for "Planet
Rock." Just think about how strange the world
would be if we didn't have this music of the
islands. It just makes you remember that this
whole planet is just an island too.

This mix is a combination of the old, the new,
and the in between. That's kind of the point: DJ
culture in the 21st century is as much about the
soundsystem as the playlist. The iPod revolution
has brought us back to the era of the "single" in
the form of a downloadable media file. It's a
return to the era when we were kids in the
ancient late 1980's, when vinyl still ruled the
dancehalls, and the soundsystems of NYC,
Kingston, and London were all about underground
flava. At a certain point in time, and at a
certain place - a phrase: architecture is nothing
but frozen music. What happens when we reverse
engineer the process? Form becomes flux, solids
melt into ideas, concepts, blueprints, codes and
contexts. I wanted to make a mix that reflected
that: old and new. If there's one thing that
reggae has told us, it's all about that pressure
drop!

Enjoy!!!

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid NYC 2006

CD 1
1. Disco Devil by Lee "Scratch" Perry
2. Lama Lava by Augustus Pablo
3. 007 Shanty Town  by Desmond Dekker
4. Funky, Funky Reggae by Dave & Ansel Collins
5. Shades Of Hudson by Dennis Alcapone & Kieth Hudson
6. Come Together by The Israelites
7. Old Fashion Way by Ken Booth and Kieth Hudson
8. Rain by Bruce Ruffin
9. Your Ace From Outer Space by U-Roy
10. Sweet Like Candy by Winston Williams
11. The Rooster by Tommy McCook & His Band
12. The Trial Of Pama Dice by Lloyd/Dice/Mum
13. Fever	by Susan Cadogan
14. Skinhead Moonstomp by Symarip
15. Morning Sun by Al Barry & The Cimarons
16. Save Me by Bob Andy & Marcia Griffiths
17. Rudy A Message To You by Dandy Livingstone
18. James Bond by The Selecter
19. Rough Rider (Live) by The Special Beat
20. Ghost Town (Live) by The Specials
21. Mirror In The Bathroom (Live) by The Special Beat
22. The Russians Are Coming (Take Five) by Val Bennett

CD 2:
1. Entertainer by Charlie Chaplin taken from Dancehall Explosion-20 Killa D
2.The Great Musical Battle by Derrick Morgan
3. Reform Institute by Gregory Isaac's All Stars
4. Popcorn by The Upsetters
5. Brother Noah by The Shadows
6. King Tubby's Explosion Dub by King Tubby
7. Dynamic Fashion Way by U-Roy
8. A Yah We Deh by Barrington Levy
9. Peter Tosh "Here Comes the Judge" - taken from "Trojan Legend Box Set"
10. Dave Barker "Lock Jaw"
11. Dillinger - "Flat Foot Hustling" - taken from "Trojan Legend Box Set
12.  Lee "Scratch" Perry - the Upsetters - "Chapter 2: French Connection"
13. Hot Sauce (Aka The Agro Man Is Back) by Dave & Ansel Collins
  14. A Version I can Feel With Love by Tommy McCook
15. Brain Mark by Jackie Mitoo
16. Pop A Version by Dennis Alcapone
17. Ethiopian Kingdom by Prince Rowland Downer and Count Ossie Band