[iDC] Situated technologies and the current war

Matthew Waxman mwax at ucsc.edu
Tue Aug 1 16:39:44 EDT 2006

Net Warfare.

NYTimes: "A New Enemy Gains on the U.S." (July 30, 2006)
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/weekinreview/30shanker.html

"'We are now into the first great war between nations and
networks,' said John Arquilla, a professor of defense
analysis at the Naval Postgraduate School, and a leading
analyst of net warfare. 'This proves the growing strength
of networks as a threat to American national security.'"

"...These network forces are not ignorant. They are
computer literate, propaganda and Internet savvy, and
capable of firing complicated weapons to great effect..."

"Also of great interest in the military threat of these
networks is that some of the most significant technologies
once held in near-monopoly control by the American
military are now available... high-quality night-vision
goggles and global positioning devices."

-Matt