[iDC] Re: iDC Digest, Vol 22, Issue 12

Joseph Rabie joe at joetopia.org
Wed Aug 16 09:45:10 EDT 2006

People have been referring to Adobe a bit in this discussion, I suppose
that the common feature that comes out of all this is that of layers,
as one finds in our favourite software.

In the preindustrial, pretechnological days, the most profound and
emotional Psychogeographic experience might have been waking up in the
morning to a thick layer of snow, which always guarantees, even in
today's sophisticated times, an immediate effect. Riotious springtime
growth coming thereafter wasn't so bad either.

This is the first time I have encountered Constant's New Babylon, but
it seems little different from other "Utopian" mastadonts, like Yona
Friedman's constructions, or for that matter Le Corbusier's Plan Voisin
de Paris (I used to live just up the road from where that would have
put it's mighty footprint right into the heart of the city). All these
projects place a layer of structure over the preexisting city.

Locative Media, a subject I know only vaguely about (and please excuse
my ignorance if I state the obvious or ridiculous, I am unable to keep
up with the discussion, shackled as I am by the constraints of a Brick
and Mortar world - which in the case of the Entertainment Hollywood
Age, one might call the Prick and Slaughter world). What appears to be
the constant of this is that the old fashioned layer of structure of
less refined times is replaced with a layer of data, which is totally
interactive of course, it allows "them" to feed us with all the
consumer goodies that the holy alliance between R&D people and business
school graduates have squeezed through a business plan into some killer
app, while keeping "us" under permanent surveillance of course.

What is interesting is that this new total uber information layer is
totally useless against the most avant-garde layer of all, that of
terror... all those GIs in Bagdad with their Pentagon power toys are
incapable of stopping the carnage that each day rips apart different
parts of the city. All it takes is for some warlord to keep a stock of
fanaticised or desperate subjects willing to wear a dynamite belt and
wait for the cell phone / detonator to ring.

Joseph Rabie.
http://www.joetopia.org