[iDC] Interactive City: irrelevant mobile entertainment?

Kevin Hamilton kham at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 20 12:49:22 EDT 2006

Getting a lot from the posts this weekend, thanks to all for the lengthy
thoughts and references to other critiques in line with this thread. I'm
learning a lot.

A quick note - for those of you interested in the discussion of
Situationist influence on new forms, nettime had a couple interesting
posts this weekend - first a post of Eyal Weizman's article on the
Israeli Defense Forces' application of critical spatial theory (even the
derive) to their tactics in Palestine (and implicitly Lebanon, at this
point). Then an interesting response from Keith Sanborn. If you don't
subscribe look for the IDF thread here (Sanborn's post doesn't appear to
be archived yet as of Sunday AM.):

http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0608/threads.html

Weizman's article:
http://www.frieze.com/feature_single.asp?f=1165

Also - a question for John - can you say more about what you hope for
from a "direct human connection" compared to a technologically mediated
exchange? I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. I understand from
your tourism example that some technologies are easily applied towards
distancing, othering, even colonizing ends. But what is it exactly that
happens in your picture when the tech goes away?

Kevin