[iDC] Re: Interactive City: irrelevant mobile entertainment?

kanarinka kanarinka at ikatun.com
Mon Aug 21 12:48:23 EDT 2006

Hello Anna and list -

I have been avidly following the discourse on this thread and am
extremely pleased that there has been so much discussion and offering
up new and old examples. I have many of your emails saved in order to
further read the essays that you have pointed to, projects and links
mentioned and so on. I hope that this topic can be an on-going, small
ripple that leads to more, not less, discussion and critical
reflection on new media and psycho-loco work.

I just wanted to briefly respond to Anna on the topic of war. Not all
Americans and people living in the US are normalized to the state of
war. My colleague, Savic Rasovic, and I were also appalled at the
lack of attention to war & militarization given the theme of
"Interactive City". So, Baghdad is interactive, right?? And Beirut?
Is that interactive? What about the classified military origins and
applications of these technologies? Or does "interactive city" only
include fun, happy, harmless experiences with consumer technologies
that electronic arts people make for "the public"? Maybe interactive
cities can only be Western cities that are looking to brand
themselves as modern, hip, playful and safe for living in luxury
condos and using wifi everywhere. Or maybe not. But it's worth
talking  about.

We raised this issue in our 5-minute talk at the Interactive City
summit and had hoped for it to spark further conversation during the
conference. I also know that at one point Jill Scott was attempting
to host a webcast that would have facilitated conversation about the
war in Lebanon between people in Amsterdam and Beirut. Small things,
but something. And I imagine there were many other actions, mentions
and discussions of war that did not make it into the higher profiles
of what was showcased at ISEA.

Best,
kanarinka