[iDC] Re: Interactive City: irrelevant mobile

mollybh at netspace.net.au mollybh at netspace.net.au
Fri Aug 25 13:43:11 EDT 2006

Dear list,

I would encourage anyone who was at or involved with ISEA/ZeroOne and who saw
or participated in the projects which Steve Dietz outlined as efforts to be
inclusive, and to engage a multicultural urbanism, in particular, to write
about them and the kinds of positive and negatives, achievements and failures,
of attempting to work in this way, the hardship, or pleasures, or obstacles
and to publish this writing where possible.

Global arts culture really should not slip back 50 years to the point where
exclusionary practices limited the creative acceptance and potential of anyone
who was not white and male - and, in reactionary times, we need to support
wholeheartedly the presence of these "other" ideas, espcially,imho, ideas of
inclusion, to win against the tyranny of the unfortunate hegemony and erasure
of cultural and political difference which we are up against. Maybe we are
experiencing self-censorship and devaluation of art and humanity as a result
of war and reaction and the fear to speak out?

This recent thread has lost much of its power as a set of ideas, and
typically, in such a debate, many of the best, because critical, comments,
imho, have been pushed aside.  Questions of multicultural urbanisms and
involvement and participation in a global festival by minority and ethnic
communities and their subcultures with themes such as 'interactive city'
and 'community domain' at its forefront, are impossibly important. Otherwise
there is no multiplicity and no democracy and no potential for democratic
participation at a meaningful level - let's hope at least we can propose it in
theory.

I am only one art writer, but I would like to congratulate Anna Munster for
her candid comments, as an Australian visiting the US, about the diffused
and dislocating space of the festival; and about the disturbing absence of
social and political critique in a national, governmental time of war,
slandering of migrant communities, dismissal of international law,
militarization of space, etc. etc. To me this opens a space for discussion and
debate, regardless of ISEA's role or ZeroOne's future. Art certainly does not
rely on the prestige of arts organizations to annoint it with meaning.

Ironically, as much of this lists' discussion has circulated around the
dominant high-tech new media and industry culture of San Jose, map-wise, there
is another history which speaks, and named after Cesar Chavez, too -

Molly