[iDC] The Bronx Blog Project

Joshua Levy joshualev at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 09:11:03 EST 2006

Tobias and Ankur, thanks so much for your comments.

The issue of privacy and teaching "safe net" practices was a one of
the defining moments of my project.  I had made it clear to the
students that their blogging would be public -- that Google would
index their writing, allowing anyone online to find them, that online
writing is a public act -- and any students that were uncomfortable
blogging were asked to simply write their assignments on paper.

Nevertheless, the defining moment of the project came when one
student, an outspoken leader of the group and the one who took to
blogging the most, thought there was a disconnect between the goals
his teacher and I had outlined at the beginning of the semester and
how we'd proceeded with the project.  He was upset, and blogged about
his disappointment.  In his posts he called the teacher a liar, which
upset her, and many of the students offered their support in the
comments.

It was a mini-crisis, and a lesson in the public nature of blogging.
I explained to him that I could read his posts, his teacher was
reading his posts, and anyone who had heard of the project was
reading the posts.  I was happy that he used his blog in this way,
but I needed to make sure he understood that his blog was a public
space and that what we wrote on it affected the real world.

After an emergency lesson in the nature of online media, things were
cleared up.

The point is, the privacy issue is real, and I wonder if the younger
generation that's using MySpace and Facebook is aware that all of
their digital utterances are being indexed for posterity.  Did I
devote time to explaining this beforehand?  A little, but there
really should be entire classes, or at least chunks of a semester,
devoted to this.

I also think that, perhaps because online social networking has
changed the way people think about culture, MySpacers, bloggers, etc.
are not as concerned about their whole life being online as we think
they are.  The woman who posted pictures of her children on her blog
may or may not have realized that they were accessible from anywhere,
but I think having a publicly accessible space made her feel
empowered -- she was feeling more connected, joining the networked
world.

No matter how benevolent their actions (so far), it's dangerous to
allow so much of our data to be owned and controlled by private
corporations like Google.  But we haven't yet seen a better business
model that can process and sort such massive amounts of data.  Of
course these social networking apps and other profile-based sites are
harvesting our information, and their users know it!  These are kids
and adults raised with a a cynical acceptance of advertising.  In
other classes I've struggled to convince students that advertising
should at the very least be distrusted and investigated; many of them
don't mind that they're being studied and prodded by marketers as
long as they get their stuff.

-Josh

www.personaldemocracy.com
www.levjoy.com