[iDC] Which programs address the challenges of participatory cultures?

John Hopkins jhopkins at neoscenes.net
Mon Dec 18 12:20:00 EST 2006

>The idea of a del.icio.us link collection of new media programs will
>be welcomed by many,
>I'm sure. The goal of my short survey, however, was not to list
>every single new media
>program in existence but to create a filter.

yes, I gathered that -- my mail server was down for a week, so I
missed last week's previous posts & the context... sorry for the
dross...

the idea of creating a filter is interesting -- isn't the student
essentially that?  The student is one through whom the energies of
the teacher and the situation are filtered, literally.  By
subtracting (de-convolving) the student's own "system response" from
the result, one might see what input actually occurred during the
learning experience...  How to do that?  An in-depth dialogue before
and after the learning experience with a student may suggest the
system response and what transpired from outside influence.  What a
nice idea -- to have archived a set of such dialogues -- I find that
as a very attractive strategy for dealing with incoming & graduating
students.  Why not!  The teacher would stand to learn a lot.  (but as
another measure of the social pressures on learning/living -- who has
the time to do such a thing?)

>Which programs teach these core competencies and how do they do it?

How much accurate information does one get from the banner
introductions that a program frames on its home page?  (IMHO) there
is often a distinct gap and oft-times a yawning abyss between the
rhetoric which was drummed up at the initiation of a program (for
institutional funding and recognition) and the actual on-the-ground
learning that goes on.

I don't think one can make an appraisal of different programs without
lived experience.  Observing a program as an outsider is one way to
do this; spending a semester teaching there is another; getting a
position immediately upon graduating with an MFA or PhD and staying
in it for 30 years yet another.  All three give different takes on
the vitality and efficacy of a program.

Having a collaborative website which drew in current faculty and
students, former faculty and students, for honest and in-depth
commentary would be really interesting (it would probably have to be
anonymous to some degree), but that seems to be the only way of
getting after the real situation...

If there is enough interest, I could open a web forum for such a set
of topics...  or maybe you should under the iDC site...   because,
how can one have a discussion about the subject without involving
students as well... as part of a *participatory culture* ;-)

**And indeed, a bottom line -- unless there IS a participatory
culture in the institution / classroom, few will be taught much
worthwhile about participatory culture!**

My experience has taught me that coherent programs are most often the
result of a 'cult of personality' -- and I don't mean this in a
perjorative sense -- but mostly in the sense that there is an
individual who has sensibilities that extend beyond the immediate
contingencies of in-your-face survival (tenure, funding, facilities
struggles, teaching loads, etc).  Sensibilities and, indeed,
energies, that move institution barriers to create a space for more
open inquiry.

Often, however, the problematic side of this concept is manifest in
the proclivity for the hiring of 'big names' to kick-start a program,
without any sensible research into the way that individual relates to
others in the program -- and zero sensitivity to whether the 'big
name' has a working ethic that is egocentric or that is able to
handle distributed creative situations.

Relevancy is something that every teacher strives for -- but there is
often a struggle between short-term relevancy and long-term goals for
learning.  This is the framework in which 'learning' a software
package sits -- students feel cheated if they can 'do' something with
a chunk of software at the end of a digital arts class -- but where
does that feeling of being cheated come from?  Expectations impressed
from the social system...

okay, at any rate, that's an other discussion altogether.  I guess my
point would be: how does one gauge the efficacy of a program?

Can't the "how do they do it?" question can be discussed and answered
independent of the discipline or department name under which the
teaching is happening.  It's more about the energy of the teaching
and the quality of the learning situation itself...  IS there a
relationship between the material characteristics of a disciplinary
space and the quality of the learning experience?

cheers,
John