[iDC] The Social Event Machine

t tati.xx at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:44:14 EST 2006

I want to add as an example brazilian midiatatica.org
<http://www.midiatatica.org>'s work, group from which I am part. we
started as a group organizing a festival called midia tatica brasil (03)
wanting to converse with the concept of tactical media from a less
european, north-american perspective. we have actually been experiencing
this subtle resistance since dictadure times and therefore we invited
groups to 'occupy' an arts space with their works. - brazilian indymedia
opened a radio on the first day. we were later sued because of this and
simply did not attend anatel's call -.

this festival ended up on a project called autolabs - three media
production telecenters in free software with aimed at resisting our
current dictatory mediaspace scenario while turning into tangible
educational processes the ideas we were pursuing, canibalizing current
media practices. well this has today emerged into national public
politics with projects such as pontos de cultura (ministry of culture)
and gesac (ministry of communication) absorbing many colleagues. no, we
do not see this as a contradiction. at a recent meeting they described
how it can be seen from a hacker's perspective. and indeed they do radio
workshops from inside a governamental project, teaching civil
disobedience, talking about gender, open licenses and so on. the
argument is that there are far too many empty spaces to occupy, and the
occupation logics are vivid from landless movement, to carnival and
midiatatica.org's now national festivals (themes are now set up
collectively through discussion lists), as long as we can remain
critical about the real struggles at stake, and the final outcomes such
as an exponential growth of free media practicioners.

in brazil, education and telecenters are a reality, cognitive processes
and collective spaces merge,
with computer/technology reclying, low tech and  bio/rural activism as
the leading media activism. radio, tv, print material and mobile phones
are also a reality. and we are not even talking about art, considering
art as part of everydaylife, under our festive model..

just a quick remark about Open Congress. I do not understand how come a
congress that wants to discuss free software produce proprietary streams
(real player). unfortunately it is not acessible for me.. subject and
objects are not too dissociated?

xt