[iDC] The Social Event Machine

Trebor Scholz trebor at thing.net
Mon Feb 6 12:41:13 EST 2006

>tight coupling between formats and outcomes. While clearly formats
>enframe the discussion, shaping the relations between participants
>and audience, I wonder if we are placing too much emphasis on the
>formats and not enough on the participants or the topic at hand?

Formats are not merely a frame. They do structure and influence the
content of what is said. But I agree that formats are not all that
matters, of course. Otherwise, you end up with an empty cocoon. And as
you say, yes, each topicality calls for its own anatomy. Each speaker
brings their own strength in performing their ideas. No need to throw
out the baby with the bath. There is not anything wrong with reading a
brief text, say-- for 5 minutes. I don¹t see much value in keynotes
though, MarK. Perhaps you can elaborate on this and
introduce the example of the event the iDC co-facilitates with the
Center for Virtual Architecture... And MarC, maybe you could
talk about your upcoming festival?