[iDC] Architecture and Situated Technologies

John Hopkins jhopkins at neoscenes.net
Tue Jul 4 16:27:41 EDT 2006

>as many writers and scholars of the DRM and current "net neutrality"
>battles have pointed out, access and control to these resources in a
>digital environment is a current (and ongoing) struggle. In many
>ways, it seems that developing countries take library/information
>access for granted, anecdotally - my students now rarely use the
>library for their research, and their reading habits have changed
>dramatically. It is these tendencies combined with the library
>proposals for more precisely controlled (tiers) of access to digital
>content and the very indifferent attitude many folks (in the US at
>least) take toward privacy protection, that make for a less
>optimistic speculative scenario.

I would agree (unhappily!) -- information that is of any current
strategic / tactical value to a participant in the dominant power
structure (which includes academic institutions, government, and, of
course, private sector) will not be free except in the case of
mistakes or other structural glitches.   This goes especially for
information that would allow the 'participant' to change their
relative social position (i.e., gain power, gain economic advantage,
etc...).  And perhaps the inverse of this?  If you have either money
or power, you will have access.  Why expect something contrary to
Machiavelli?

thank god for glitches, though.  Harry Tuttle in the movie "Brazil,"
for example...

cheers
John