[iDC] Knock yourselves out

Patrick Lichty voyd at voyd.com
Thu Jul 6 12:28:13 EDT 2006

This is an excerpt from a recent post to my "Summer of MySpace" exhibition
blog, which addresses a number of issues like corporate domination of
creativity, pay-to-work, and so on.  I hope it is not tooo off-topic.

"...curation has been a bit of a question.
the EULA for MySpace is a problem for anyone creating content for share
here. In effect, after the NewsCorp buyout, all property can be appropriated
by NewsCorp, which is a big question. With the consumer-driven model of Web
2.0, info-industralists (or as Wark calls them the Vectorals) create
channels, and then capitalize fromt eh material created by the users.

In many ways, it is a pay-to-work model, which I really abhor. Labor must be
compensated if capital is involved. Non-profit is another matter, and I
believe that it should be considered as 'commons'. But in Second Life, there
is the potential for compensation, but it is 'on spec' in a pay to play
site. It may be an investment, but I still hold it circumspect.

What about MySpace? Even though MySpace is 'free', is is an advertising
channel, which in effect users create Value-Added Resources for a commercial
site.

What about the EULA? What about the agreement to let NewsCorp to any and all
content that the users create? This is a problem. I ... understand the
drawbacks. I also understand that the shelflife of MySpace is probably short
- 2-5 years, maximum.

One last point -
There is a challenge in considering the boundaries between creation and
promotion. I have gotten several requests for webcam porn (interesting
potential for performance art), and for MySpace Music artists. What is the
difference between a MySpace site as embodied work, and mere promotion?..."