[iDC] Where have all the women gone?

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Sun Jul 9 09:59:31 EDT 2006

Trebor, your first sentence sounds like a stereotypical defensive
response, but I'm not sure if your last sentence is a mea culpa or not.

Amanda's question reflects my own experience, the gender/ethnic
composition of *organisational* bodies (not invited participants) for
forums often - if not always - reflects the "participation" of those
groups (esp. those whose participation is "genuinely sought" lol) in
those forums.

There is no "other space" or "public" where such "participation"
happens. We either engage with other social locations in our day to
day activities as cultural organisers or we don't. Our social
networks, professional networks, citation networks, curatorial
networks etc. are a marker of our positioning. If we want to change
anything, we can change the people who we engage with in setting the
agenda for our projects. And if we can't change those, no "practical
suggestions for fostering participation" are going to achieve much.

[I am not trying to put myself on a moral high-ground with respect to
you here, I've spent more than enough time organising cultural events
with predominantly male org committees :7. I'm just saying that I
think Amanda's question gets to an empirical (not virtual) reality
that is in accord with my experience.]

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net