[iDC] information managerialism

Richard Coyne Richard.Coyne at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 07:08:16 EDT 2006

Well I can certainly identify with the Yochai Benkler quote (picked
almost at random):

"Information overload.
A basic problem created when everyone can speak is that there will be
too many
statements, or too much information. Too many observations and too
many points
of view make the problem of sifting through them extremely difficult,
leading
to an unmanageable din. This overall concern, a variant of the Babel
objection,
underlies three more specific arguments: that money will end up
dominating
anyway, that there will be fragmentation of discourse, and that
fragmentation
of discourse will lead to its polarization." (p.233)

I guess the reference is to information in general on the Internet
and elsewhere. Perhaps there is a third outcome evident in the
particularities of certain informational contexts: a rise in
information managerialism. I see this in my own institution, where
there is a move to parcel everything into "information resources,"
"learning objects" and tag it with meta-data. The interesting area is
the negotiation and agonistics in the space between the move to hyper-
organise and the quest for the freely-formed.

Anyway, I'm Richard Coyne. I hope I'm following the instructions
correctly. I research and teach in digital media and architecture.
I'm currently trying to catch up on research into the human voice and
space. I like thinking about Serres' observation: "Noise is the basic
element of the software of all our logic, or it is to the logos what
matter used to be to form. Noise is the background of information,
the material of that form." Serres, Michel. 1995. Genesis. Trans. G.
James, and J. Nielson. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, p.7.

- Richard
---
Richard Coyne
(Room 4.07)
(Second Office: Graduate School, Alison House, Nicolson Square)
Architecture
School of Arts, Culture and Environment
The University of Edinburgh
Professor of Architectural Computing
20 Chambers Street  EH1 1JZ  Scotland
Tel: +44 131 650 2332; Fax: +44 131 650 8019; Mobile: 07968 728447
email: Richard.Coyne at ed.ac.uk
Department Home Page: http://www.architecture.ed.ac.uk/
Personal Home Page: http://ace.caad.ed.ac.uk/richard/
MSc in Design and Digital Media: http://ace.caad.ed.ac.uk/postgradstudy/