[iDC] The eco friendly challenge

mj2trusc at artsmail.uwaterloo.ca mj2trusc at artsmail.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 2 13:12:28 EDT 2006

Andreas,

Thank you for the informative post. I, too, have been interested in the ecology
of computing. Many new media theorists talk about "materiality," but the
discussion rarely addresses ecological materiality in the form of energy use,
e-waste, and the relationship between computing and conservation.

Your post also reminded me of Scott McNealy's "eco friendly challenge" from last
year, the beginning of which I post below. What McNealy neglects to mention is
the potential for a serious energy crisis in the next 20 years, especially if
peak oil types are correct.

Michael Truscello, Ph.D.

http://news.com.com/Scott+McNealys+eco-friendly+challenge/2010-1014_3-5947061.html

I have good news and bad news.

First, the good news: The number of people online is expected to grow by 500
million in just two years.

Now the bad: See above.

Why is that bad? Only because, in most cases, computers on both ends of the
network use--and waste--huge amounts of electricity.

It doesn't have to be that way. Not if companies that use computers (and what
company doesn't?) adopt sustainable growth strategies.