[iDC] Re: Net Neutrality

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Mon Jun 26 03:00:38 EDT 2006

Sorry for the delay Trebor! Thanks very much for the response. Rather
than respond to your points individually, I'd like to respond to your
main question because I think it raises some of the critical
differences in our thinking about strategies and contexts for
political change that underpin the discussion.

Like you, I am committed to the support of what you call "autonomous"
and I would call "relatively independent" uses of the Internet, but I
think the direct relationship to governmental interventions here is
less straightforward than you suggest. There are two facets issues
that I would raise with these in respect to Net Neutrality.

Firstly, I guess my experience is that extremely large scale national
(or international) policy interventions in something like
standardised service provision in telecommunications has an impact on
independent content initiatives that is difficult to predict.
Independent initiatives emerge within very diverse legislative and
economic regimes. I also think there can be unintended consequences
to stadardised regimes that are promoted in the public interest. For
example, if in the wireless future the reduction in infrastructure
costs allows smaller organisations to become ISPs again (reversing
the consolidation in this business over the last decade) we might
imagine a group of indymedia types who would like to provide ultra-
cheap wireless access to a range of independent political content
from likeminded organisations from overseas. Management of bandwidth
costs would be critical to this kind of an initiative. Would Net
Neutrality provisions force this group to also carry high cost
content such as mainstream cinema trailers? The scenario doesn't seem
far-fetched. It doesn't make that much difference whether "overall",
that certain larger companies might benefit more from neutrality not
being legislated, we need to account for this case.

Note that I am not saying here that I think no legislation can or
should be made in the public interest. I am just uncertain about the
effect of a "Neutrality" provision, because there seem to be very few
clear models of the impacts or what Neutrality really is.  And I am
certain that the non-enforcement of "Net Neutrality" will not neuter
"open access initiatives" or "access to knowledge" activism or many
other political initiatives that I am committed to in the way you
suggest. Also, the civic impacts are not limited to nominal ability
to participate and produce. Available business models for independent
musicians is a policy question which *is* present in the success or
failure of the iTunes content model, because it could be a means of
content financing that is more or less helpful for independent
artists than other alternatives (that doesn't mean I think it should
be supported, I'm just saying it is a civic impact).

Secondly, and more relevant for this group I think, is the question
of how artists and independent producers intervene in the policy
process. The *practice* of policy interventions is different than the
*practice* of making independent content. Both are political acts,
but I think the strategies required are quite different. I'm not a
policy-hound, but I spend enough time in that space to know that
politicians have a reasonable nose for how much of a population
"public benefits" can be sold to. Most of the political ideals I hold
have no chance of being supported in a governmental process, and I
try not to waste my time getting upset about it. In particular, I try
and avoid signing up for legislative movements (no matter how well-
intentioned) where the rationale and on-the-ground impact is unclear,
as I think it is in the Net Neutrality case. So what I was trying to
do with the article was highlight some of the complexity in a policy
rationale which I think is simplistic and not in touch with all of
the factors that impact it. (I think the debate also conveniently
fits with the formalism of new media politics which prefers analysing
systemic structures and extrapolating those to reality rather than
evaluating a range of particular cases to formulate a politic).

When it comes to my own activism on tech media policy, I'll be
looking to freedom of speech, supporting of open-source / access-to-
knowledge proposals, reform of intellectual property laws, and a
whole bunch of other areas that seem to me to be more productive
trees to bark up than Net Neutrality. But I'd also like to see more
sophisticated dialogue on the topic than I'm seeing online at the
moment, and I think this group in particular should be capable of
fostering that.

Best regards

Danny

--