[iDC] Fwd: Battling Bragg beats MySpace

Hughie hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jun 30 21:56:43 EDT 2006

Couldn't agree more, Andreas.

If you thought the MySpace terms sucked, you should read the YouTube ones

American Idol Underground had a similar problem when it tried to recruit
CDBaby artists.  Someone actually read the terms and posted a discussion
point, which forced the company to redraft its agreement ... (I read them
but didn't mind because I don't have as much at stake as Billy Bragg! see
http://www.thelongtail.com/the_long_tail/2005/11/the_effect_of_p.html   :-)

But this is not a problem with the Internet, this is a problem with HYPE.
Caveat Emptor, as the saying goes, applies *especially* to the Internet but
people with large PR budgets and good relationships with multinational media
companies don't want the rest of the population to think too hard about it.
It's the Wild, Wild West, and gullible and ignorant people (I put myself in
that category, though I've been luckier than most  :-) fall into the trap
because it's a basic human urge to want things to be better than they are

BTW - MySpace was seen as the "good guy" not because of its populartity (on
the grand scale, its traffic was trivial until News Ltd bought it and
started to use its global media reach to promote MySpace) but because the
nature of the popularity achieved through it had "cred" in an anti-fan age.
In other words, the "popularity" was mythologised (and it still is) as being
generated by "real" people finding music and spreading the word via social
netwoks rather than large companies' publicity budgets being used to
colonise popular opinion.  But guess what??  It was only a matter of time
before the very-clever people whose entire lives are devoted to promoting
music figured out how to manipulate these rules, too.  All of the
"successes" from Myspace - Sandi Thom, The Artic Monkeys, DJ Lars, etc have
the backing of very clever, experienced big-budget promotion companies!
Their relationships are subtly different to those of the traditional record
company approach, but where's the "cred" now???  (I don't know the answer to
that one, only time tell, but it's an interesting redrawing of the ground
rules)

My current theory is that MySpace is doomed to go the way of the Dodo if
News Ltd is not careful to preserve the "cred".  Any more stories about
pedophiles stalking residents, bands' popularity being manipulated, legal
and privacy impediments being raised in the name of reducing exposure to
risk, etc, and the whole things loses the major appeal it had to members.
They go somewhere else (there's no shortage of alternatives) and the whole
brand is worthless ... and the stench will probably affect the others, but
that's a harder line to justify. We'll see what happens.

My PhD topic is an investigation of the effectiveness of using MySpace, etc
as a promotional device for independent musicians ... I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Hughie