[iDC] Undermining open source: iTunes U

adam adam at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 5 15:20:23 EST 2006

i think Apple has been let off the hook for a long time especially by cultural activists. Bill Gates and Microsoft have been an easy bugbear, but Apple are
monopolists too and have been since they first started making an OS that works only with their own hardware.

adam

..on Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 01:00:02PM -0500, Joshua Levy wrote:
> I've actually been interested in the ways that Apple promotes itself -- on
> one hand they wrap themselves in counter-cultural rhetoric (though they've
> thankfully dispensed with the "Think Different" campaign and its use of
> cultural heroes) but on the other hand, as this story suggests, now that
> they're at the top of the digital music heap they're engaging in
> questionable practices, as Udell suggests.
>
> As this writer mentions, many of us use and love our Apple products, from
> iPods to Powerbooks to, um, the Mighty Mouse I just bought.   They make nice
> stuff.  But I also love the concept and practice of open source, and use
> open source products as much as possible.  And although Apple has embraced
> (or usurped) open source projects like Unix and Konquerer, they don't seem
> much concerned about the culture of openness that made those projects
> possible.
>
> They way they've clamped down on copyright issues, attacked those who leak
> secrets, and restrict the use of digital music reminds me of another
> computing behemoth... and I wonder what Apple would become if they grew half
> has large as Microsoft is.
>
> Udell says:
>
> The Web was first conceived as a means of academic collaboration. Blogging
> > and podcasting represent the long-awaited fulfillment of that dream.
>

> But I fear Apple is only in it for the money, collaboration and openness be
> damned.
>
> -Josh
>

> On 3/5/06, Andrea Polli < apolli at hunter.cuny.edu> wrote:
> >
> > An article in Infoworld called 'Opening Up iTunes U' that might be of
> > interest to this group:
> > http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/02/01/74855_06OPstrategic_1.html
> > --
> > Andrea Polli
> > MFA Director
> > Associate Professor of Integrated Media Arts
> > The Department of Film and Media, Hunter College
> > 695 Park Ave. New York, NY 10021
> > t (212) 772-5589
> > http://www.andreapolli.com

> --
> www.levjoy.com

Adam Hyde
~/.nl

selected projects
http://www.xs4all.nl/~adam

the streaming suitcase
http://www.streamingsuitcase.com

r a d i o q u a l i a
http://www.radioqualia.net

Free as in 'media'
email : adam at xs4all.nl
mobile : + 31 6 186 75 356 (Netherlands mobile)