[iDC] Undermining open source: iTunes U

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Mon Mar 6 08:49:30 EST 2006

E. Miller wrote:
>> i think Apple has been let off the hook for a long time especially by cultural
>> activists. Bill Gates and Microsoft have been an easy bugbear, but Apple are
>> monopolists too and have been since they first started making an OS that works
>> only with their own hardware.

Let's play some games first  ... http://www.miniclip.com/badapple.htm

Here are my thoughts on Apple.

I've been doing computing since around 1983 when the ZX81 became
affordable (http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/computers/zx81/zx81.htm).
Interestingly enough though, I've never owned or missed owning an Apple
during my geek-career. Some friends had Apples][e machines - and were
playing games on it for most parts. But by that time though, we had the
C64 (I got one) which was superior for gaming than anything out there at
the time while at the same time providing a computing platform that
essentially created the assembly- and demo-scene
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demoscene). So looking through the long
list of machines they made (http://www.apple-history.com/) many were
technically not state-of-the-art and commercially considered expensive.
They also never reached the demo scene much for example - not that the
Mac community had no coders, it was just that they were a different
breed. Maybe the coding youth of the day felt they were the boxes for
the ivory-tower's - not made for the real "Scotty's"
(http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Scotty.html) of the world
that could wire PCs while laying on their backs in a "Jeffery's Tube"
(http://www.thejeffriestube.com). And then along cam the PC - with
extension slots and design that opens up the hardware to a multi-vendor
scheme. So us hackers could plug and play with ISA, MCA, VL-BUS, PCI,
PCIe. Whats more, the RAM  was sockets, so was the CPU and the drives. I
still have a box with hundreds of PC parts from that era laying around
(anyone interested?). My point is, that Apple was (and still is) shaped
by this model of closed hardware design. Designers and schools got Mac's
(which "just worked") - everyone else got a PC for their better
computing-bang-for-the-buck ration and tinkerability index (and in the
process were cursed with Microsoft software). As most private people
then and now run the bulk of their software from unlicensed copies, the
PC won out in the closed loop of operating system monoculture: more PCs,
more Windows, more commercial software vendors coding on Windows, more
free Windows based stuff and games to crack and copy. Apple was
struggling, but got indirectly and directly help from  ... Microsoft.
After all, Microsoft needs a competitor in the big consumer market that
keeps the prices for operating systems and other productivity software
high - Apple always charged a decent price for their OS. Apple responded
in addressing the needs of their original "ivory-tower" customer base
with a solid OSX and generally picking up on the need for more
"designer" computing - as computers intruded more and more our lives,
they needed to blend in better than the grey PCs of the day. iPods were
more a fashion statement and a consumer statement against all the crappy
industrial design coming out of Taiwan than real technical innovation.
Plus, since we all hate Windows, its a nice and cheap way for many to be
different from the Wintel world (and than sit down on that XP laptop
again). So these days with all that talk of the Apple-Disney-pie and
iTunes, Apple redirects again in a response to the better designs coming
out of Taiwan (http://global.shuttle.com/default.asp) and a general
trend towards slick looking, usable desktops (MS Vista or any Linux
desktop) - which erodes its raison-d-etre - towards a focus on content.
With hardware and software become more a commodity by the day, content
is king. The device and the software is just a means to push YOUR
content. That is the reason for the initially huge losses the original
Xbox ran - a viable business expense for Microsoft to control the
content (computer games). So far it seems to work - with 1,000,000,000
legal iTunes downloads (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29879) their
content vision sets the stage for what is to come. And what I read into
it, is not all bad. While they did incorporate DRM, they allowed
personal several copies and made it cheesy enough to be broken within
months of its release (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=706). They
also started with a price-point of 99c which was much lower than what
Sony and Co. charged at their onlines sites at the time. But its just
music - while and important market, its small compared to games for
example. Where is Apple in the interactive-gaming front? So I think,
Apple was and is a niche player but will always remain an influence on
the industry  - and so was the now defunct Silicon Graphics Inc. ... I
guess they didn't have a Steve Jobs, his ego and his team.

Cheers
Andreas