[iDC] Against Web 2.0

Marc Lafia marc at marclafia.net
Fri May 26 18:22:25 EDT 2006

If we might for a moment let us go back a few weeks to our discussion of the
Manovich talk - and how Web 1 Web 2 (does it matter)- has informed and
mirrors this idea of a distributed aesthetic through the notion of new kinds
of internal differentiation and distribution in cultural objects. This both
from an authorial as well as a readerly point of view.

What is this 'participatory turn in culture that is noteworthy...  What
constitutes the art of engagement with regard to quotidian uses of open
access environments like wikis and blogs?'

Is not this same engagement informing the production and consumption of
objects of the everyday?

Where as Manovich sees this new engagement in depth (as in depth of field)
in the single frome and mono-time - I see the contemporary moment as
poly-temporal, distributed, iterative, responsive, multiple, lateral,
all-at-once, nonlinear and with an entirely different use of sound and voice
- in turn giving us a very different sense of the event of presence.

With this said I would be curious if the list would be up for writing a real
time alternative to Lev - to Bourriaud's Post Production, to Web 2
enumerating any and all things that concern putting on the now.

Perhaps a 100 statements, claims. No longer that 2 lines.

1. The moment is always now.

Marc Lafia