[iDC] animism and such

Mike Kuniavsky mikek at orangecone.com
Tue Oct 3 13:44:51 EDT 2006

I was at Ubicomp and apart from being pleased that people were talking
about animism and magic (things I've been looking at lately), I was
initially a bit surprised at Sterling's strong stance against it.  Then I
interpreted his criticism, as you explain, as being against the use of
magic as coersion. His point is that that there's enough history of the
developers of technology cloaking the functionality of technology for
there to be concern that animism and magic as a metaphor would make it too
easy. Laurel's keynote, on the other hand, was about using magic and
animism as ways to create pleasure.

MY take on it is as a convenient explanatory framework for the
functionality of ubiquitous technology devices. Just as people aren't
fooled by the desktop metaphor in GUIs into thinking it's a desk, I don't
think anyone will think using magic as a metaphor will make anyone believe
in magic, but it's useful in the same way.

BTW, I'm going to be talking about it at DorkbotSF next week:

  http://dorkbot.org/dorkbotsf/

Here's a partial bibliography of magic in user experience design. The idea
goes back at least 15 years, and more than 20 if you count the influence
of Vinge's "True Names."

  http://www.orangecone.com/archives/2006/06/partial_bibliog.html