[iDC] Speaking of techgnosis, read that Stewart Brand thing. That is just amazing social history.

Ryan Shaw ryanshaw at SIMS.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 13 12:10:58 EDT 2006

Hello Mark,

I think you may be misinterpreting Turner's method in light of
Bruce's comment about "social history." Having just read the book
from which the essay at Edge was excerpted, I don't believe that it
is intended as a historical account of a "great man." Rather he is
concerned with understanding how the computer shifted from being seen
as tool of the bureaucracy to a tool of the people, and how a certain
network of people and organizations came to dominate the conversation
around computing and how it should be integrated into our lives. His
method in trying to understand this is to "follow the actors," and
Brand makes for a convenient actor to follow.

So it's not history, and certainly not hagiography. Though Turner is
fairly restrained in his criticism, overall the book paints a damning
portrait, especially as he recounts the cyber-elite's love affair
with the Republican right in the mid 1990s. I'm not surprised that
the excerpt chosen for The Edge was mostly straightforward biography,
rather than the critical views expressed more clearly elsewhere in
the book, because the networks he so incisively criticizes encompass
Brockman's "Third Culture" as well.

Your point about "reportage" is well taken though. Sometimes Turner
relies too much on newspaper and magazine accounts instead of primary
research.

Cheers,
Ryan