[iDC] Speaking of techgnosis, read that Stewart Brand thing. That is just amazing social history.

mark bartlett mark at globalpostmark.net
Sat Oct 14 15:14:35 EDT 2006

hi ryan,

thanks for the clarifications, and, tempering my overhasty response
to the edge excerpt.

i'm very glad to hear the book takes the position you've described.
that squares well with what i've been finding, by taking the opposite
route, tracing who has been excluded, dropped from sight, not allowed
to act, and looking at the reasons for particular exclusions. What is
it that accounts for the  blind spots of particular historical
narratives? Canonization is often an unconscious self-iterating
process, canon's build on other previous canons. this is one aspect
of the reportage problem. and its a particularly big problem in art
history, (i'm not an art historian)  which tends to account for only
those figures who survived, for whatever reasons, the competition of
the art market. then we hear ad nauseum about Pollock say, and Cage.
I'm not saying that they weren't important. But do we really need
another book on Duchamp?  the 25 year "gag rule" which so often
disciplines historians generally, while making some sense, also
sometimes leads to putting history as a discipline in a double
political bind. It cannot effect the process of selection in the
present, while risking being complicit with the politics of the past
that lead to exclusion. for me, and i  know for some others, that is
the problem that a specifically "social" history seeks to rectify.

the particular case i'm working on shows the regularity with which,
to be cagey about it, the silences once started, tend to hop from one
historian/theorist to another through time. anybody heard of Stan
Vanderbeek? I wish i could take a poll on this list and find out,
while giving multiple choice options for who he was....

mark bartlett