[iDC] Thoughts on Situated Tech

Martin Lucas mlucas at igc.org
Wed Oct 25 13:58:23 EDT 2006

Architecture and Situated Technologies

In the architectural renderings of my youth figures disport
themselves, slender, frozen indicators of the human, standing around
waiting to be brought to life in the beautiful building plans of the
future.   Today those figures are coming to life, and they are us and
they aren’t.  Like the dolls in a fairy tale, threatening to take
over…the open color marker scribbles that used to denote clothing now
suggests our auras, the nimbus of information continuously
regenerating itself around the individual  (and taking on a life of
its own) in age of situated tech.

Trebor’s call for the ‘occupation of the technological  imaginary’
seemed poignant to me.  It seemed  particularly so in the context of
architecture, which is the most public of design functions, and in
someways the most expert.  It is also the profession that bridges the
artworld area of design, and the worlds of materials science and
engineering, which make it a particularly fruitful region for a world
which the kind of ‘two culture’ discussions of the 20th century have
mutated and spawned varieties of zany children.  As speaker followed
speaker, it seems that, while some of those children are frightening
and some are funny, there is a general sense that what is important
is to move beyond technophilia and technophobia to engagement.

There was plenty of material for technological paranoia, as speakers
evoked models which move beyond  surveillance to constant data
monitoring as everything becomes a source of information.  Anne
Galloway noted that putting an RFID chip in her pet made them a team
both globally mobile, and totally surveillable.  These are the kind
of bargains that citizens have to examine (and reject) if they are to
actually ‘seize the technological imaginary’ in a meaningful way.

The two big enemies here seem to be fear which allows the powers-that-
be to spread technologies of control, and the mystification and
reification, which encourage people to think that technological
development follows an unfolding  and natural internal logic.

My sense from the conference is that the tactic for fighting the
first is in many hands a kind of resistance-through-play.   The
evocation of a broad  societal understanding of, much less control of
technological design functions, was evoked as a wish but the broad
spread of positions and practices was hard to  absorb quickly.  One
speaker suggested that “Friends don’t let friends buy useless
technology”, while another talked about deconstructing five dollar
toys and turning them into laserrobot mausolea…

Intriguing to me was Natalie Jeremijenko’s evocation of the need for
quantifiable research in an art context.  She was actually looking at
something more like a science exhibit.  What she was doing reminded
me of work in the sociology of small groups.  This makes me nervous,
reminding me of dubious efforts to  make social science more like
‘hard science’ in times past.

The whole issue of utility and desire seems fraught, and something
that I  want to look at more.   The discussion of  ‘Magic’ in the
listserve spoke to this.  Again, there is a way in which as consumers
we want design to allude to mystery, if not mystification.  How can
we incorporate desire as well as necessity into our discussion of
pragmatics (e.g. global warming, etc.)?

Trebor playfully referred to a citizen input panel for the design fo
the iPod.  Do people care that you have to throw it away when the
battery dies?  Could they be taught to?  My sense is that people may
not  learn all the details but that they can very much inform
themselves about technological systems and the interaction of their
iPod with iTunes and the Apple Store and control of music in
particular, and information rights in general, for example.

Intriguing for me was the post-psychogeographical move to find new
models to emulate in architecture and urban planning.  Gordon Pask,
evoked by several speakers, was unknown to me and worth knowing.  His
dynamic of ‘knowing’ seems to offer a pedagogical route away from the
passivity of ‘information’.

In a wonderful fashion the event moved from the tight lateral passes
of the opening evening presentations to a finale  at Eyebeam that
felt as though a group of designers had reverse engineered a Tristan
Tsara play.  Looking at my copious notes, this was perhaps the only
way to go  with an  event that evoked hugely different world views
and practices, groping toward a shared language while surrounded by a
multiplicity of facts on the ground.

My thanks to Mark, Omar and Trebor.