[iDC] A critique of sociable web media

pat kane playethical at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:14:26 EDT 2007

Great piece, Trebor, but just a few semi-naive questions I want to
throw in:

* What about the civil liberties dimension of omnivorous data
capture? I just finished reviewing Lessig's Code 2.0 (the updated
version) http://theplayethic.typepad.com/play_journal/2007/03/
the_fair_cop_in.html , and I've been chilled to the bone by his
prescription of an 'digital identity passport', as a solution to
spam, and a means of managing information privacy vis-a-vis the state
and corporations (though he sets out some really surprising threat-to-
state preconditions for legal disclosure of digital identity).
Google's revelation that it's only going to keep 18 months of your
websearching only makes you realise how much they *were* keeping -
and when Google told the Feds to butt out, when they wanted to look
at their user archives to research porn use, it makes you realise
that we should be replacing 'in God we trust' with 'in Google we
trust' on the dollar bill. That seems far too much civil
responsibility for one shareholder-driven corporation to bear. But
Lessig's  'ID card' vision of the net - all derived from his vision
of the net as a constitutional phenomenon, an 'architecture of value'
- feels far too grown-up for me. But I think I'm going to have to
grapple with it. Adam Greenfield's musings on 'a jurisprudence for
everyware' are also interesting here (use yer cached, http://
tinyurl.com/3bw7la).

* But isn't there also something about advertising on the social web
that, at the very least, puts it in its proper place - ie, as
secondary to the social experience? We can bemoan and drum our
fingers at the interstitials that stand in the way of us getting to
that Salon article - but let's be honest, how many of us fulfill the
advertiser's aspiration and click through to a website for yet
another stylish people carrier, or post-colonial alcoholic spirit? In
terms of an old-fashioned (and yeah, ok, social-democratic)
Habermasian framework, this feels to me like the "system" (or various
systems) very much being rebalanced in terms of the values of the
"lifeworld" (or community). But maybe I'm being too politically
boring here...

* ... Because I'm also an avid reader of the autonomists, and there's
a recent interview with Virno  that really focuses the political
question of how immaterial labour might or might not become a class
for itself, as much as in itself: http://info.interactivist.net/
article.pl?sid=06/01/17/2225239&mode=nested&tid=9

"The global movement ever since Seattle resembles a half-functioning
voltaic battery: it accumulates energy without rest but does not know
how and where to discharge it. We face a marvelous hoarding to which
no adequate investments correspond at this time. Or do we face a new
technological apparatus, powerful and refined, for which we, however,
ignore the instructions? The symbolic-media dimension has been at
once a propitious occasion and a limit. On the one hand, it has
guaranteed the accumulation of energy; on the other, it has hindered
or deferred to infinity its application.

"Every activist is aware of this: the global movement does not yet
manage to have an effect—I mean, to have an effect with the grace of
corrosive acid—on the current capitalist accumulation. From where is
the difficulty born? Because neither the profit margin nor the
functioning of constitutive powers have been disturbed more than a
tiny bit by the new global movement? To what is this paradoxical
“double bind” due on which basis the symbolic-communicative sphere is
both an authentic springboard and the source of paralysis?

"The impasse that seizes the global movement comes from its inherent
implication in the modes of production. Not from its estrangement or
marginality, as some people think. The movement is the conflictual
interface of the post-Fordist working process. It is precisely
because, rather than in spite, of this fact that it presents itself
on the public scene as an ethical movement.

"Let me explain. Contemporary capitalist production mobilizes to its
advantage all the attitudes characterizing our species, putting to
work life as such. Now, if it is true that post-Fordist production
appropriates “life”—that is to say, the totality of specifically
human faculties—it is fairly obvious that insubordination against it
is going to rest on the same basic datum of fact.

"To life involved in flexible production is opposed the instance of a
“good life.” And the search for a good life is indeed the theme of
ethics. Here is at once the difficulty and the extraordinarily
interesting challenge. The primacy of ethics is the direct result of
the material relations of production. But at first glance this
primacy seems to get away from what, all the same, has provoked it.
An ethical movement finds it hard to interfere with the way in which
surplus value is formed today. The workforce that is at the heart of
globalized post-Fordism—precarious, flexible border-workers between
employment and unemployment—defends some very general principles
related to the “human condition”: freedom of language, sharing of
that common good that is knowledge, peace, the safeguarding of the
natural environment, justice and solidarity, aspiration to a public
sphere in which might be valorized the uniqueness and unrepeatability
of every single existence.

"The ethical instance, while taking root in the social working day,
flies over it at a great height without altering the relations of
force that operate at its interior. Whoever mistrusts the movement’s
ethical attack, rebuking it for disregarding the class struggle
against exploitation is wrong. But for symmetrical reasons, they are
also wrong who, pleased by this ethical attack, believe that the
latter might put aside categories such as “exploitation” and “the
class struggle.” In both cases, one lets slip the decisive point: the
polemical link between the instance of the “good life” (embodied by
Genoa and Porto Alegre) and life put to work (the fulcrum of the post-
Fordist enterprise)."

--- I think it's so productive to muse on this Virno passage, both
for where it might be right and wrong. To what extent are we
'ignoring the instructions' of these new technological apparatuses -
or testing them to their limits (ie, if YouTube gets too censorious,
where do we go next to 'become the media')?

His point about the "symbolic-communicative sphere" being both "an
authentic springboard and the source of paralysis" is also acute -
anyone observed how the New Tories in the UK are radically embracing
the social web (http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/george_osborne/
2007/03/the_internet_is_changing_the.html, http://
www.webcameron.com)? And how they're also combining that with a
explicit politics of the 'Good life' - General Wellbeing (GWB)
instead of GDP as the index of progress for societies, etc? (See
http://theplayethic.typepad.com/play_journal/2006/05/
well_beings_or_.html ). Now, if anything looks like an "ethical
instance" flying over the conditions of the 'social factory' without
'altering the relations of force that operate at its interior', it's
going to be the British Tory Party 2.0.

Thoughts?

Pat Kane
+44 (0)7718 588497