[iDC] Re: a critique of naturalized capitalism

Ryan Griffis ryan.griffis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 15:05:40 EDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 8:25 AM, Nicholas Ruiz III wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the question...could you
> elaborate a bit...?
>
> NRIII

i'm questioning the use of the phrase "decided by virtue of our birth
as living capitalized beings, driven by the currency of the Code..."
There are two paths that seem to be suggested by this language, but
correct me if i'm wrong:
1. This (capitalism) is Nature as code, an indifferent system that is
not explainable through social/cultural systems, but is a phenomenon
of the Universe that is reducible only to observable mechanisms.
2. This (capitalism) is Nature as metaphysical "Code", written into
the specifically "human nature" as sin is attributed to all humans
"by virtue of our birth" in Judeo/Christian terms.

Either way, capitalism (as both an ideology and material system) is
unavoidable and evolutionary, as well as totalizing. As if there is/
cannot be other ideologies/systems parallel to it, that are not
merely false or mythical.
If this is the case being stated, i'm not sure what the meaning of
the term "capitalism" might be, as in either case, it becomes
synonymous with "Nature" and/or "Human."
Obviously, i would disagree with such an assertion - hence my
recalling of Dawkins' "selfish gene" theory (which, to simplify, is
the notion that the behavior we call "selfish" or "self-
interestedness" (the traits, not coincidentally, most celebrated by
capital) is "hard-wired" into us genetically).
If what's being stated is not this, and is just using the language of
"Code" (the capital "C" is part of what caught my attention) and
"genetic protocol" rhetorically and metaphorically, then i think it's
a bit problematic as a critical gesture, as it evades critically
through naturalization. It seems, to me, to dismiss the importance of
the political, rather than locating it.
best,
ryan