[iDC] Re: A critique of sociable web media

Julian Kücklich julian at kuecklich.de
Mon Apr 9 05:42:19 EDT 2007

I've been lurking so far, but Trebor's latest post struck fairly close
to home, so I would like to make a couple of comments, from the
perspective of a play theorist. In my own work, I am interested in
conflation of play and labour in new media contexts, particularly the
digital games industry. I have used the term 'playbour' in the past, but
I am not sure how far cute neologisms will take us.

The core of the problem, as I see it, is an 'ideology of play' that
underpins many phenomena of virtual capitalism, or whatever you want to
call it. I'll come right out and say that I think Pat Kane is one of the
people propagating this ideology, even if he means no harm. I've
outlined my reasons for this on my blog a while back, here:
http://particlestream.motime.com/post/235766. Pat responded to this
critique here: http://particlestream.motime.com/post/237389.

What is the ideology of play? I could say much about this, but I'll
restrict myself to a brief outline. I think it has its roots in hacker
culture, and became widespread for the first time during the dotcom
bubble. So, first of all, it means that the lines between leisure and
labour begin to blur. You don't actually differentiate between your
private life and your working life, because most of your friends work
where you work, or in a similar area.

Because more and more work is becoming 'creative' a lot of your actual
work will take place not in a work setting but during a meal, while
watching TV, in the shower. All of a sudden an idea will pop into your
head and you will grab a pen and paper and jot it down. This also means
that you will feel justified to play solitaire or World of Warcraft
while you are actually at work, i.e. in your office. Because you just
saved the company a couple of thousand dollars with an idea you had last
night just before you fell asleep.

But then of course what you do in World of Warcraft is not so different
from what you do at work. You do a lot of boring repetitive stuff in
order to 'level up'. You join a guild in order to meet the right people.
You buy low and sell high. So the world of work and the world of play
become increasingly blurred. The fact that you can actually make money
playing WoW or Second Life is secondary to the fact that work becomes
ever more similar to play, and play is becoming ever more similar to
work. Both work and play, however, are becoming increasingly effective,
performance-oriented, self-managed.

And both work and play take place on the same machine - the digital
computer. This might seem trivial but it isn't. The fact that we use the
same technology to fill out spreadsheets, and to play World of Warcraft,
and that we can easily Alt-tab between the two apps merges the spheres
of work and play even more solidly. And once you have played WoW for a
while, you will actually start filling out spreadsheets to track your
progress. And you will start thinking about business strategies in terms
of raids, loot, and mobs.

Now along come Web2.0 apps like YouTube, Flickr, and del.icio.us. And
you will start playing with them. It will seem like a game, because
these sites are actually structured like games. You earn symbolic
capital in the form of friends, favourites, diggs, kudos, whatever. And
you devise strategies for getting more of that stuff. In Flickr, you
join a couple of groups in order to increase exposure for your holiday
snaps. You put a risqué video of yourself on your MySpace page in order
to get more friends. You publish your del.icio.us links on your blog.

All the while, you don't think about the fact that you are doing the
work of people that other people used to do - journalists,
photographers, programmers, and most importantly: marketers. And why
should you? It's all just a game, isn't it? It's like Trebor said: it's
  like having a job, "while at the same time getting lots of dates,
making friends, establishing some micro-fame, and becoming creative."
This sums up what we do in our jobs as well as what we do in our leisure
time.

And it's exactly what we do when we play World of Warcraft - or any
other game for that matter. Because it is in computer games that our
performance is constantly assessed and measured, until it feels like a
natural part of play. It's one of those 'rhetorics of play' which Brian
Sutton-Smith identifies in his book, "The Ambiguity of Play". And it
takes root in our brains, and our hearts, and our souls, and it connects
us to the great production machine through play technology.

---

Trebor asks: What is to be done? "What would lead us to 'communal
unshackling'?" And his answer is the same that has been given by all
progressive thinkers in history: we need to raise awareness.
Play-labourers need to become aware of the exploitation inherent in the
technologies and practices of play. But somehow I am not convinced.
Because we all play along all the same. Although we are aware that we
are being exploited. We post our work on blogs or we publish in
scholarly journals. We use Web2.0 apps because it is convenient. We play
World of Warcraft because that is what everybody does.

I don't think the solution to the problem is as simple as that. The idea
that we just need to raise awareness in order to elicit change betrays
its roots in Enlightenment thinking. We are theoretically aware that the
ship of modernity has capsized, even if a couple of splinters still
float on the surface of the stormy sea. But somehow we refuse to let go
of the idea that a better world is possible by appealing to reason, by
explaining the world to people. I don't think this is a feasible way to
go anymore. And of course this is not even a new argument.

So what is to be done? The simple answer: I don't know. The complicated
answer: If all the world is a game we need to learn how to cheat. We
need to deploy this technology in a way that is non-exploitative,
non-binary (us vs. them, play vs. work, Empire vs. multitude), radically
anti-modernist. Maybe it's time for a new situationism that targets the
spectacularisation of the self inherent in 'sociable' media. So it
becomes a question of identity politics, a question of refusing the
subject positions offered by YouTube, MeTube or TheirTube.

The name I use for this is deludology. Ludo, I play - deludo, I cheat, I
delude. It's just a label, but it becomes a powerful way of thinking
about possibilities for breaking the rules established by the ideology
of play. If autonomous marxism's solution to the problem of industrial
labour exploitation was the refusal of work, the solution for the
problem of post-industrial playbour exploitation might well be a refusal
to play, to play along, to collude. But as I said before, I don't know.
In any case, I agree with Trebor: we need to "believe in the possibility
of societal alternatives to this rotten system."

- Julian.

--
julian raul kücklich, ma

http://www.playability.de