[iDC] truth, beauty, freedom and money

Simon Biggs simon at babar.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 05:01:22 EDT 2007

Artists work in so many different contexts and come at their practice from
so many different ethical stand points that it is not surprising Michael had
such diverse responses to his questions.

I wonder if there would be any value in presenting these questions to a
sample space within a more quantifiably analysable methodology? The
ethnographic affordances one would need to build in to account for
differences would only function to obscure the results. However, without
those affordances the data could not be analysed.

We are all different...across cultures, sub-cultures, political allegiances,
religious affiliations. The idealistic notion of a universal or fundamental
human condition seems untenable. Visual artists have historically held the
idea of universalism quite dear as visual art has always seemed less bound
by the differences that written and spoken language propogate. Early
Modernism was driven, in large part, by just this form of romantic
absolutism (Kandinsky, Mondrian, Malevitch all wrote on universalism in
art). However, there is no reason why visual representation, even at its
most abstract, should be unaffected by cultural context. The so-called
"logic of Capital" is also just another narrative, culturally contingent and
therefore not a universal law but simply another approach to social
formation. Post-structural analysis establishes a non-totalising discourse
that allows us to see the relativism of these things. That seems to be often
forgotten.

The idea of a "better art" is also a totalising concept. How do you define
"better"? The idea of "art" is also, to a large extent, a qualifiably
defined concept, a function of cultural context. Different cultures have
different concepts of what art can be and what its function is. Many of us
here will be working from within a dominant Western conception of art that
has something to do with "creativity" and values such as novelty,
originality, individualism, object fetishism, etc. Other cultures have very
different notions of what art might be or do not even think in terms of art.
This is the case not only across "big" cultural divides but also across the
apparently "small" ones that function as fault lines in our own societies.

It is important that we keep the cultural contingencies that underpin all
our basic assumptions at the forefront of our thinking. What is right for
"us" is not universal and might even be fatally wrong for somebody else.

Regards

Simon