[iDC] truth, beauty, freedom and money

Michael Naimark michael at naimark.net
Mon Apr 9 23:21:09 EDT 2007

Hey, thanks for your comments.

Simon, how do I define ³better² art? That was mainly as a provocation,
though admittedly if one searches through ³art² ³history,² both distant and
recent, one finds exemplars of tech-based art supported by all of the
different means of support mentioned earlier.

Cecil, sometimes brevity isn¹t clarity, sorry. I probably should¹ve wrote:
³Search as I might, I haven¹t found any correlations² (between quality of
art produced and the different means of support). And search I have, because
I¹m of the school that ³following the money² always leads to the source of
control (e.g., when television news is sponsored by aspirin, the camera
person delivers headache-inducing shots, albeit subtle, in aggregate, and
probably unconscious).

I think the difference with the arts community is that an integral part of
our creative process is figuring out how to subvert our funders¹ intentions
--- at its best with passion, grace, and sincerity.

-M