[iDC] Bloggers Code of Conduct

s0metim3s s0metim3s at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 19 11:28:05 EDT 2007

Trebor,

Problems of bullying, stalking, death threats are not, as you note,
confined to the internets.  So, it seems to me that the actual problem
this 'code of conduct' seeks to deal with is not bullying etc, since
prospective trolls are hardly being invited to sign up.

I'm not so sure the 'code of conduct' was prompted by the death threats
as is being suggested.  I think this was seen as an opportunity to put
forward a proposal that squares with a particular view of the internets
as spaces of intellectual competition, but not outright conflict.

In any case, the circumstances and therefore the problem, I think, is of
a media which sees itself as open, sociable, democratic - and which
therefore has long frowned upon decisions to *not* connect (be nice,
chat to, etc) with everyone whom one comes across, which sees comment
deletion as a transgression of online democracy and sociability, and
which seems to imagine - or likes to imagine - that the only
consideration as to online relationships is a numerical one (how many
hits, comments, etc).

But people have been filtering and deleting for a very long time - and
not simply in the technical ways that are available.  Maybe it's time to
drop this idea that blogging or email lists are something other than
partial, that we make decisions to talk or not talk with people all the
time, for various reasons.  Maybe this way, the reasons for
disconnecting and connecting could be the subject of something other
than ostensibly formal, or depoliticised, procedures or claims.  Or even
psychologised ones, via the figure of the stalker, bully, etc.

best,
Angela