[iDC] Re: A critique of sociable (and mobile) web media

Nicholas Ruiz III editor at intertheory.org
Fri Apr 20 10:53:31 EDT 2007

As an example of our stilted sociopolitical
circumstances, I suspect MySpace is as fine an example
as any; I don't believe it represents a special case
of any kind.

Sociality has not 'become,' but rather, has been
capitalized upon, exchangeable as it were, since the
beginning of civilization, and even earlier,
considering the anthropic principle of familial
strength and influence within the tribal biopolitics
of primitive groups.  Evolved forms of such docilities
relative to power emerge in the ancient, medieval and
modern milieus, and proceed in their evolution today.
The form is not novel, though the particulars of
servitude, of course vary in cultural time and space.

The origin of such claims traces back to the oldest of
world literatures, though sociality is often presented
as Fate; renaissance and modern renderings of social
economy are more recognizably developed as culture
industry.

As for modern, or contemporary conditions, apart from
the location that is virtual vs. physical, what is the
material difference of currency made by capitalizing
on those that park on MySpace, relative to those that
park at Mom and Pop's drive-thru, after the sock hop,
to buy soda pop and cheeseburgers, compare clothing
and hairstyles, chat, gossip and so on?  Is there a
further level of deceit, in one or the other, we
should differentially moralize as some greater evil?

There has never been a utopian FreeSpace, but that is
not to say that there cannot be a more equitable space
and time, no?

NRIII

=== message truncated ===>