[iDC] media curating lists as pedagogical, exploratory and speculative texts

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Mon Aug 20 07:50:01 UTC 2007

Hasn't the saturation of media availability and information
pertaining to media made such curatorial distribution practices less
important/valuable than it was? For example, I would like the media I
consume to be available more or less everywhere, because I don't rely
on distributors / compilers / curators to *discover* interesting work
in the same way that I did when I was photocopying fanzines and tape-
trading in the late 80s/early90s.

If the curatorial function (but *not* the critical function) has to
some degree been commoditised, it appears perhaps akin to tagging or
database design. For me, the safer and more pedantic the framing
better, I'll get my aesthetic kicks from the work itself and the
historical/critical commentary which (increasingly) I'll track down
via trusted citation/friend networks which probably aren't linked to
the distribution process in any way (Amazon Listmania and their ilk
excepted perhaps). As they like to say in Australia, "cut out the
middle man!"

Cheers,

Danny

--