[iDC] curatorial lists

timothy murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 24 13:21:00 UTC 2007

Barbara,

Regarding curatorial lists, you might be interested in the conceptual
groupings of digital art from a few exhibitions that I have curated.
Most materials from these exhibitions are included in the Rose
Goldsen Archive of New Media Art, which I curate at Cornell
University (not too far from Alfred) and ready for public
consultation very soon (so your students could come down).  I'll soon
announce to the list the updated website
(http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu) which will have a full listing
of all of the Archive holdings, and will provide online access to
many materials.

For the issues of CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA, which I co-curated with Arthur
and Marilouise Kroker (http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu), we
organized the conceptual issues into separate thematic/theoretical
groupings of 4-6 pieces of net.art (you can consult these issues
online: Tech Flesh: The Promises and Perils of the Humane Genome
Project; Wired Ruins: Digital Terror and Ethnic Paranoia; NetNoise).
You also might be interested in low-fi out of London
(http://www.low-fi.org.uk/) that mounts listings of net.art
exhibitions and writing by guest selectors.  I did one a while back
on Digital Terror: Art and Theory in the Age of Surveillance.

Regarding a broader array of digital work, the exhibition, Contact
Zones: The Art of CD-Rom (http://contactzones.cit.cornell.edu
[bilingual catalogue: English and Spanish]), included twelve programs
of 5-6 international CD-Roms, each oriented around conceptual themes
(I might mention that I mounted the Mexican version of Contact Zones
with Priamo Lozada, who recently died tragically while curating the
Mexican Pavilion at the Venice Biennale):

IDENTITY MUTUTATIONS
Isabel Chang, Virtual Makeovers for the Post-Identity Cyborg, 1999 (USA)
Gisela DOMSCHKE & Fabio ITAPURA, Mutations, 1999 (Brazil/UK)
Leah GILLIAM, Split: Whiteness, Retrofuturism, Omega Man, 1999 (USA)
Art JONES, Culture versus the Martians, 1998 (USA)
Nino RODRIGUEZ, Boy, 1994 (USA)

MEMORY ERRORS
ad319 (Nan GOGGIN, Joseph SQUIER, Kathleen CHMELEWSKI),
	Body, Space, Memory, 1997  (USA)
Christina CASANOVA, Vamos a contar mentiras (Let's Tell Lies), 1999 (Spain )
Megan HEYWARD, I Am A Singer, 1997 (Australia)
Adriene JENIK, Mauve Desert, 1997 (USA)
Arlene STAMP, Modern Mother, 1998 (Canada)

SOUND MACHINES
Brad MILLER & McKenzie WARK, Planet of Noise, 1997 (Australia)
Martin CASEY, Born with a Broken Tongue, 1999  (Ireland/S. Africa)
Norie NEUMARK, Shock in the Ear, 1998 (Australia)
OVER DUB UNIT (Tetuzo HIRAI, Kounosuke MIHARA, Tastuo TAJIMI),
	In Three Small Fantasies, 1999 (Japan)

ARCHIVE FEVER
Hans BREDER, The Nazi Loop, 1996 (USA)
George LEGRADY: An Anecdoted Archive from the Cold War, 1994 (USA/Germany)
KEITH PIPER: Relocating the Remains, 1997 (Britain)
Reginald WOOLERY, Million Man March/ World Wide Web, 1997 (USA)

  ELECTRIC DELIVERY SYSTEMS
Natalie BOOKCHIN, Databank of the Everyday, 1999 (USA)
Kevin and Jennifer MCCOY, Small Appliances, 1997 (USA)
Sara TACK, Deliverysystem, 1998 (USA)
Suzanne TREISTER, No Other Symptoms: Time Travelling with Rosalind
Brodsky, 1998	(Australia)

VIRTUAL METROPOLIS
John COLETTE, 30 Words for the City, 1994 (Australia)
John Craig FREEMAN, Virtual Florida, 1998 (USA)
D. R. Isaias (Melquix) ORTEGA, Subterraneo, 1999 (Mexico)
Robert OUELLETTE, Virtual Metropolis, 1996 (Canada)
Jody ZELLEN, Ghost City, 1997 (USA)

CINEMATIC SPECTERS
Zoe BELOFF and The Wooster Group, Where Where There There Where, 1998 (USA)
Lev MANOVIC, Little Movies, 1999 (USA)
Nina MENKES (with THE LABYRINTH PROJECT: Kristy KANG, Marsha KINDER),
	The Crazy, Bloody Female Center, 1999 (USA)
Charles TASHIRO, Courier, 1999 (USA)
Annette WEINTRAUB, Day of the Dead, 1998 (USA)

BODIES WITHOUT ORGANS
Linda DEMENT, Cyberflesh Girlmonster, 1995 (Australia)
Roz DIMON, Information Woman, 1995 (USA)
Marcia LYONS, N2blak...a Series of Seeded Bodies, 1998 (USA)
Job Ramos PERRAMON, The Nurse House (asèpsia 1.2.), 1998 (Spain)
Gary ZEBINGTON, Metabody, 1997 (Australia)

ARTINTACT
Artintact 4, ZKM/Institute for Visual Media, Karlsruhe, 1997 (Germany)
	Marina GRZINIC & Aina SMID, Troubles with Sex, Theory &
History (Slovenia)
	Dieter KIESSLING, CONTINUE (Germany)
	Anja WEISE, trance machine (Germany)
Artintact 5, ZKM/Institute for Visual Media, Karlsruhe, 1999 (Germany)
          	FORCED ENTERTAINMENT & Hugo GLENDINNING,
		Frozen Palaces (Chapter One) (England)
	Masaki FUJIHATA, Impalpability (Japan)
	Agnes HEGEDÜS, Sprache der Dinge (Things Spoken) (Hungary/Germany)

BAROQUE INTERFACE
Jean-Louis BOISSIER, Globus Oculi, 1992-93 (France)
-----------------------------, Flora Petrinsularis, 1993-94 (France)
Rae DAVIS, Relic/relique, 1999 (Canada)
Douglas HOLLELEY, Bits of Paper, 1998 (Australia/USA)
Grace QUINTANILLA,  Vice Versa, 1998 (Mexico)
Kate RICHARDS, Red Iris, 1997 (Australia)

HYPERTEXTURES
Miekal AND & Maria DAMON, Literature Nation, 1999 (USA)
Takahiko IIMURA, Interactive: A I U E O NN Six Features, 1999 (Japan)
Panos KOUROS, Pasiphili-pandektiki avli-epochesthe, 1998 (Greece)
Sally PRYOR, Postcard from Tunis, 1997 (Australia)
Christine TAMBLYN, Archival Quality, 1998 (USA)

OCULAR WORK IN THE DIGITAL AGE
CAMERWORK (Geoff COX, Ian MAKGILL, Chris RODRIGUES, Phaedra STANCER),
	The Work of Art..., 1998 (England)
Brian GOLDFARB, Ocular Convergence, 1999 (USA)
Takahiko IIMURA, Observer/Observed and other works of Video
Semiology, 1999 (Japan)
MANUAL (Suzanne Bloom and Ed Hill), A Constructed Forest:
	An Interactive Dictionary of Persons, Terms, and Ideas from
the Divergent World of	Forests and Constructivism, 1995-99 (USA)
Esther PARADA, "...To Make All Mankind Acquaintances", 1996 (USA)
Tamás WALICZKY, Focusing, 1998 (Hungary).

I'd be happy to be in touch with you, Barbara, and anyone else on the
list about access to these materials at the Goldsen Archive.

Best,
Tim

--
Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English

office: 607-255-4086
e-mail: tcm1 at cornell.edu