[iDC] online silence

Yoram Kalman Yoram.Kalman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:30:33 UTC 2007

Thanks, Craig, for your interest and advice.

I too was a bit worried initially that it would be difficult to say much
about silence. I am now in the final stages of my dissertation, and have
realized that silence is a topic that permeates almost every aspect of
communication. Silence is ever present in literature and poetry, in
music and in drama, in religion, in commerce, and in almost every other
aspect of life. Academically, my dissertation is at the intersection of
three disciplines: Communication, Information Systems and Psychology.

Specifically, the dissertation comprises three studies, the first of
which was an attempt to define silence. The research started with an
investigation of responsiveness in a huge (and fascinating in many ways,
including ethically) dataset of emails released to the public as a part
of the Enron investigation. I then went beyond email, and found out a
mathematical uniformity that linked responsiveness in email
communication, online classrooms, and on Google Answers. Moreover, the
same mathematical uniformity (power law distribution) also seems to
exist in response times in spoken dialog, in the response times to
online surveys, and even in unexpected places like the response times to
letters (the dataset that was researched was based on the
correspondences of Darwin and of Einstein). This quantitative work might
be of less interest to many in this group, but those who are interested
in it could learn more in our paper here:
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol12/issue1/kalman.html

Interestingly, the results of that first study led me to a separate
paper (which you can also find on my website) that questions the whole
concept of dividing communication media into synchronous and
asynchronous media. I believe it is an outdated convention, and one that
actually limits our view of the online world.

The other two studies (not yet published) focus more specifically on
email communication. In one I explore silence as a nonverbal cue in
email, and in the other I simply collect and analyze the recollections
of people who experienced online silence, and who caused online silence.
The analysis of this work was completed in the last few months.

I will be more than happy to elaborate more on any of these, but doing
so here will break one of the more important rules of this type of
conversation, which is to keep postings short!

Thanks,

Yoram

Yoram Kalman
Tel: +972 3 950 7340