[iDC] Don Tapscott's Wikinomics: A Dismal Netology?

pat kane playethical at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 18:36:36 UTC 2007

Hi Tiziana and Michel

Hoping I can contribute a few broken thoughts to this debate, which
the reanimated magi of the Scottish Enlightenment would doubtless
shape much better than I can...

My only experience of non-establishment money systems are a few LETS
schemes in Scotland - which work well in hard-bitten social
situations, where community solidarity can be reanimated around these
'socially'-fuelled systems of allocation of resources, talents and
people. I also remember that the local money systems that emerged in
Argentina did so in the wake of extreme economic crisis. I suppose
the general point I'm making is that it has taken a pretty large
capitalist meltdown, or an sustained experience at its sharp end, for
alternative money systems to seem credible. Our acute and urgent
ecological awareness of natural finitude may be able to draw a very
thick line around the endless expansions of capitalism - and I'm then
wondering whether the state legislators who still lay down the laws
for capitalism's operations will realise that local money systems, or
at least the recognition of the social dimension of currency and
value-markers, might have a role to play in social order.

Believe it or not, I was invited to No.10 Downing Street recently, as
an associate of the think-tank Demos, where the current Prime
Minister Gordon Brown was celebrating the rise of
www.horsesmouth.co.uk - a 'mentoring' website which aims to match up
'underemployed' retirees and civically-minded elders, with young
freelancers and strivers who are looking for practical life and
career advice. I've no brief for Brown, whose silence or complicity
about Iraq, and recommissioning of Trident, makes him seem to me like
political 'business as usual'. But nevertheless, this was the head of
the British state enthusiastically associating himself with a social
network platform that was explictly trying to capture that
Lazzatarian "flow of pure affect bifurcating into subpersonal flows
of beliefs, desires, judgments and feelings which flow between
individual minds,  and which individual minds repeat or innovate",
and canalise that towards a communitarian politics. Again, this is
either classic Di Lampedusa strategy, or it's the state recognising
that it needs to recognise the 'transcendental' force of peer-to-peer
collaboration.

Again, to pick up another point of Michel's, trust-based resource
management pops up in the most interesting places, at least in the
relatively material process of newspaper production - the Guardian
now explicitly proclaims that its trust status is a guarantor of its
editorial quality, freedom, and innovativeness. So the attractiveness
of an ideal of social affect as the basis for running an enterprise,
service or organisation - wikinomics, in Tapscott's sense - is
already out there. I'm always wondering - and perhaps Keith Hart can
help here - whether 'top down' is always oblivious to 'bottom up', or
whether there might some imaginable state policy reform that could
fecundly generate a whole range of collaborative enterprises. I'm
thinking of the discussion around the PSP (public service provider)
going on in Ofcom in the UK, where websites and gamemakers can bid
for public money on the basis of providing a 'public service'; or the
Swedish state subsidy for local newspapers, to protect press diversity.

If these policies are even imaginable, let alone extant, what other
ideas can be smuggled into state action? (Seeing, as a caution of
course, how disappointingly Lessig's notions of creative commons
panned out in the BBC, where a fully accessible 'creative archive'
ended up as a tighly managed 7-day catch up 'BBC Player', due to the
state not getting involved in clearing up the legal proprietorial
thickets...). My problems is, I'm also a Scottish state reformer,
with a state to reform, and seeking ideas desperately...
(www.scottishfutures.net)

best, pk

Pat Kane
+44 (0)7718 588497