[iDC] Media dies more slowly than some would like

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 5 22:58:14 UTC 2007

Paul B. Hartzog wrote:
Just as we no longer
> refer to a horse-drawn carriage as transportation (although it is
> perhaps a vehicle), we might no longer refer to a book as
> authoritative (i.e. "edition" may pass from our vocabulary).

Yeah, that is a deep and truly interesting potential change, it will be
very curious to see how it plays out. The big thing about the paper book
is the sense of closure, achieved by the unchangeability of the final,
ready-for-print text, and reiterated each time you close the cover and
that literary universe becomes a simple, portable object again. It's not
certain that sense of closure will pass over to the electronic medium.

In the meantime, are there betting pools concerning the probable dates
of the Ultimate Kindle-Hack? When will I be able to transform any
digital file into a nicely presented, hand-annotatable text that I can
read on the train?

very curious, Brian