[iDC] Media dies more slowly than some would like

Aaron Beebe aaron at brawnandfervor.com
Fri Dec 7 04:27:03 UTC 2007

I'm gathering that what Rick is really getting at isn't about books in
the end.  It's about libraries.

One of the things that makes your library so intriguing to me, Rick, is
not only the sense of discovery, but the act of *historical* discovery.
It's about the realization that there used to be so many weird and
amazing things out there.  The entire scope of publishing goes way
beyond amazon and google, which are keyed towards new, in-print or
recent-run books.  When things are rare because they're out of print and
therefore unique, but they're not so rare as to actually be notable,
there's an opportunity for fresh discovery.  There's something
interesting about discovering things that were, until very  recently,
completely mundane.

Aaron Beebe
Curator
The Coney Island Museum